Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering taking my dry 36 gallon bowfront tank and making it an invert tank. With that said, what would be a good option for anemone in this tank? Further, it is not tapped for a sump. Should I sump it or would HOB equipment work?
There would be clowns in there, and maybe a watchmen or sand sifting goby in there.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB should be ok. Sounds like you want a hosting anemone, so first I’ll tell you what not to get. AVOID:
Condy (aka Haitian)
Rock Flower Anemones (they are cool, but don’t host)
Mini Carpet anemones (again not as likely to host)

Also, I assume you are aware that anemones need a mature tank (not just a cycled tank). Ideally it will be at least a year old (or at least 6 months if started with real live rock).

Otherwise, it Really depends on what you want. If you like dozens of anemones that split and cover the tank, then you’ll want bta’s. If you want just a few showstoppers, red/blue/purple Haddoni or gigantea are amazing. If you want a single showpiece that clowns will drool over get a magnifica (red foot variety is my favorite, mags are the most difficult to keep).

LTA’s are another option (lives in the sand) there are some pretty ones, but not my personal favorite.
Sebae are another option (lives in the sand, one of the more difficult anemones).

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering taking my dry 36 gallon bowfront tank and making it an invert tank. With that said, what would be a good option for anemone in this tank? Further, it is not tapped for a sump. Should I sump it or would HOB equipment work?
Regardless of which equipment or anemone you choose, the tank will need 9 months before it will be suitable to have one. Long time to get equipment and species figured out.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have another mature reef tank you can transfer over some live rock to help and skip the waiting period. I would just buy some extra dry rock now and put it into the current tank if you can, but transfer over the older rocks. Otherwise wait about 9 months before buying an anemone as others stated.

Hob equipment should be fine for a small tank like that, I would either just do a seachem tidal hob or build a false wall for an aio and use a manual filter roller like the nuvo roller from innovative marine. Be ready to change out filter media (or turn knob on filter roller)every 2-3 days especially when not running a protein skimmer to keep nutrients down

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
FishDaddy1992

FishDaddy1992

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB should be ok. Sounds like you want a hosting anemone, so first I’ll tell you what not to get. AVOID:
Condy (aka Haitian)
Rock Flower Anemones (they are cool, but don’t host)
Mini Carpet anemones (again not as likely to host)

Also, I assume you are aware that anemones need a mature tank (not just a cycled tank). Ideally it will be at least a year old (or at least 6 months if started with real live rock).

Otherwise, it Really depends on what you want. If you like dozens of anemones that split and cover the tank, then you’ll want bta’s. If you want just a few showstoppers, red/blue/purple Haddoni or gigantea are amazing. If you want a single showpiece that clowns will drool over get a magnifica (red foot variety is my favorite, mags are the most difficult to keep).

LTA’s are another option (lives in the sand) there are some pretty ones, but not my personal favorite.
Sebae are another option (lives in the sand, one of the more difficult anemones).
Where would you look for all these nems? Live Aquaria doesn't have much, in my opinion.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS will be your best bet for anemones as you see them in person and inspect them to make sure they are healthy. Liveaquaria went so far downhill they are hard to recommend anymore. Changed ownership a couple of times now I think they are owned by petco

Top Shelf Aquatics

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btas will split and might be annoying in a 36 gallon but LTAs and carpet anemones also get huge. Depends on what you like and if you want to just have anemones or other corals in the system

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the tank needs to be mature. Just doing some preliminary research to figure out if this is something I really want to do or not. I do have a 55 gallon up and running right now that I can use to help seed the 36 gallon.
I’d avoid Live Aquaria. They used to be good, but nowadays not so much. Also they way overprice their anemones. If you want bta’s check local fb groups. Since they split so much, you can usually find them locally for under $50.

AquaSD
Corals Anonymous
PacificEast Aquaculture
Reefbeauties

These are my first go to online vendors.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS will be your best bet for anemones as you see them in person and inspect them to make sure they are healthy. Liveaquaria went so far downhill they are hard to recommend anymore. Changed ownership a couple of times now I think they are owned by petco
I would advise to never buy from an LFS if possible. Local reefers are always a better option if available. Cheaper, better health and no shipping.

AS
OP
OP
FishDaddy1992

FishDaddy1992

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btas will split and might be annoying in a 36 gallon but LTAs and carpet anemones also get huge. Depends on what you like and if you want to just have anemones or other corals in the system
I am suspecting I am only sticking to anemones with more inverts, such as CUC and such, a pair of clowns, and maybe one other fish.

OP
OP
FishDaddy1992

FishDaddy1992

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d avoid Live Aquaria. They used to be good, but nowadays not so much. Also they way overprice their anemones. If you want bta’s check local fb groups. Since they split so much, you can usually find them locally for under $50.

AquaSD
Corals Anonymous
PacificEast Aquaculture
Reefbeauties

These are my first go to online vendors.
Gotcha, was just wanting to research and see what I like first. My LFS is ~ 2 hours away so its not easy to just swing by after work. Have to have some sort of idea before pulling the trigger.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise to never buy from an LFS if possible. Local reefers are always a better option if available. Cheaper, better health and no shipping.
100% but this is only applicable to the BTAs as they split
I am suspecting I am only sticking to anemones with more inverts, such as CUC and such, a pair of clowns, and maybe one other fish.
Got it, if that is the case I would probably do BTAs to fill in the rocks and for movement, while keeping the sandbed clear for inverts or small sand dwelling fish. BTAs are also relatively easy especially if you get one that naturally split in someones tank. Might be cool to do a shrimp/goby pair with the clownfish but there are lots of options for small fish. If going bta definitely look at the classifieds here and see what is available near you. Nice rainbow bubble tips (RBTA) are like $30-50 usually

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Frag Farm
Back