Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for alternative suggestions for algae control. I’ve had an assortment of snails doing the job, but recently my Melanurus Wrasse has been going after them (even the Mexican Turbos) more and more. And to top that off my Yellow Coris Wrasse has started doing it too. I was just going to get rid of the Melanurus, but if the Yellow Coris is doing it too, then that won’t help; and I don’t want to get rid of both. So if I keep the fish, what are some other algae control options because I can’t afford to buy snails every other week. It’s a Red Sea 250 (55 gallon display) so tangs aren’t really an option. Other current inhabitants include a Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse, Yellow Watchman Goby, Randall’s Pistol Shrimp, Tiger Conchs, and soft corals.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try algivorous fish. Lawnmower blennies, court jester / rainford gobies, hector's gobies, etc. Urchins and siphonaria limpets could work. Sea hares are another option if you don't think the wrasse would go after them.

You could try an emerald crab since they often can be hidden during the day.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Important question, what kind of algae? If it is green… Reef flux or flux RX to get a head start. That is how I got mine under control. Starting with dry rock it is almost inevitable . Do your research on the product and follow the directions
. Lawnmower blenny an option.
Hermit crabs, seem to be the only CUC other than a few trochus snails.
Oh ya also tuxedo urchins, fantastic at algae removal, but will move frags and small rocks.
what are your no3/po4 levels, that is the easiest way to begin identifying why the algae is growing.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try algivorous fish. Lawnmower blennies, court jester / rainford gobies, hector's gobies, etc.

You could try an emerald crab since they often can be hidden during the day.
I’ve had a Ruby mithrax in there before (related to the emerald), but there’s not enough algae for it, so it got a taste for my Duncan. He got moved to the Fuge.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Important question, what kind of algae? If it is green… Reef flux or flux RX to get a head start. That is how I got mine under control. Starting with dry rock it is almost inevitable . Do your research on the product and follow the directions
. Lawnmower blenny an option.
Hermit crabs, seem to be the only CUC other than a few trochus snails.
Oh ya also tuxedo urchins, fantastic at algae removal, but will move frags and small rocks.
what are your no3/po4 levels, that is the easiest way to begin identifying why the algae is growing.
Not looking to solve an algae outbreak. I don’t have a huge issue. Just looking to keep it maintained. That’s why I’m only looking for livestock suggestions.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nutrient level and would lowering them be an option.

Also, I assume you are growing chaeto in your fuge?
I just introduced chaeto this week, but as I mentioned to someone else, I’m not having a huge outbreak issue. I just like having a livestock option in there that will keep it maintained for me.

BRS

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotcha. Tuxedo urchin or lawnmower blenny. 2 tuxedos in a 125 keep up with nuisance now before it becomes nuisance
Not looking to solve an algae outbreak. I don’t have a huge issue. Just looking to keep it maintained. That’s why I’m only looking for livestock suggestions.

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just introduced chaeto this week, but as I mentioned to someone else, I’m not having a huge outbreak issue. I just like having a livestock option in there that will keep it maintained for me.
Then I vote lawnmower blenny. . . oh and as said above saltwater mollies are cool.

I like blue leg hermits as well, not sure how compatible they are with your other stock though.

World Wide Corals
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back