Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I have asked so many questions just trying to figure out what I want to do. here are the rest.
1. What is the min tank size for a koran angel
2. what fish could I put in a ten gallon reef
3. is the Evo 13.5 a good aio
4. is it fair to put a small goby, e. g. high fin red banded/neon in 2.5-gallon reef with live rock
5. is trachyphilia/lobophilia a good beginner coral?
6. how do I frag a zoanthid
7. is the autoaqua smart ato good for a 2.5
8. any suggestions for some water movement for a 2.5 jar tank with zoas
9. is the pnw custom micro reef ready tank good?
10. what would be some good corals for a 10-gallon beginner
11. do I need a ro/di?
12. what is a good all-in-one testkit that I can buy?
13. are hammer branching varieties a good beginner coral?
14. the water chemistry that does matter to a beginner is ph, salinity, alkalinity, calcium, 3n (ammonia nitrite nitrate). is there anything I'm missing that would apply to a beginner keeping soft corals?
15. What is the coolest zoa in your opinion?
16. is there anything else I should ask?

Thanks, lil drummer boy

Corals.com
OP
OP
death-by-reef

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I have asked so many questions just trying to figure out what I want to do. here are the rest.
4. is it fair to put a small goby, e. g. high fin red banded/neon in 2.5-gallon reef with live rock
11. do I need a ro/di?
14. the water chemistry that does matter to a beginner is ph, salinity, alkalinity, calcium, 3n (ammonia nitrite nitrate). is there anything I'm missing that would apply to a beginner keeping soft corals?

Thanks, lil drummer boy
o yea, one more thing.
are drop off tanks easy?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

strawberryfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would greatly recommend RO/DI, the initial investment isn't too bad anyways.
Fragging zoas is very easy, as long as they are happy and growing just slice them off with their mat attached and glue them down. Just make sure you use some form of face protection at the very least because palytoxin. I use an M40 because I mainly fear aerosolization, but to each their own.
Red Sea make a good test kit, its what I use. But If you want the very best and you got the beans for it I'd go for Tropic Marin Lab kits Very very nice.
I don't have experience with Lobos/trachys or hammers but IMO I would start with other LPS first, I've had very good luck with duncans and "Favias". If you can keep these happy it shouldn't be too hard to care for Lobos/trachys or hammers.
Zoas are the best starter coral IMO as long as you understand the risks of palytoxin.
Calcium Magnesium and Alk uptake is affected mostly by the growth of coral skeletons of stony corals, If you plan on keeping primarily soft corals then keeping Calcium Magnesium and ALK stable is easier, and the main params you will focus on is Nitrate and phosphate as they have more affect on the growth of soft corals. After your cycle is complete Ammonia and Nitrite shouldn't ever be present in you tank.
And IMO the coolest Zoa is LSOH I want some so bad.
But the favorite in my tank are either these Scarlet Fever/UPD Zoas
20220919_162446.jpg

Or these Mango Fusion Zoas
20220919_162507.jpg

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11. do I need a ro/di?

Thanks, lil drummer boy
2. Smaller gobies, royal gramma, Pygmy wrasse, anything considered a nano fish
3. Very good tank, just requires some mods with the filter to make life easier
4. I personally wouldn’t, even though they are small and inactive, 2.5 is not a lot of room at all
6. There is some flesh between polyps, cut there but be aware there is always a risk when working with zoas/palys
10. Good beginner corals are shrooms, zoas, leathers, xenia, and gsp
11. It is strongly advised to have an rodi for better coral health
12. Salifert is pretty good and not too expensive
13. Branching hammers are good beginner lps, but still much more difficult than softies
14. Phosphate is pretty important as well
15. I’m a fan of how rastas and utter chaos look

Top Shelf Aquatics

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) For minimum tank size, you’ll find that suggestions vary wildly from one site/person to another (with most care guides greatly overestimating needed space and most sellers greatly underestimating it based on what recommendations I’ve seen generally accepted on the forum here). Generally speaking best minimum tank size recommendations I’ve seen are from LiveAquaria, which suggests a 250 gallon for Koran Angelfish.

2) Sharkbait19 gave a pretty good response here, so I only have two things that come to mind to add right now. One, barnacle blennies could work (I’ve heard the basically just chill in their caves/barnacle shells until feeding time then dart out and back super fast). Two, while I don’t recommend buying from them at the moment, LiveAquaria does have a section of their site dedicated to nano fish (I think they might have fish in the list that go up to 20-30 gallons min tank size recommendations, so you May need to sort through it a bit, but it should give you some good ideas of what could work in a 10 gallon).

11) Technically speaking, you might not need one (depending on the chemical composition of your source water), but it’s definitely a good idea to have one, as it gives you a known, good-quality base to run you tank from.

12) Salifert and Red Sea are the two (non digital) ones that I’ve seen people recommend the most.

14) This link has two tables in the first post - the top table has the important things to measure. The only thing on the second that people typically consider important to test regularly is Nitrate. These tables also list recommendations for what numbers you should have for each parameter in a typical tropical reef tank:

World Wide Corals
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back