Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been set up for around 9 months now, currently just a fish only tank, looking to add some coral in the next few months. I am going to start with a few soft coral and lps, going to be an lps dominant mixed reef, going to add a couple easier SPS in but later on. I have a dosing pump and reservoir, and planned on using all for reef, but I’m hearing that it does not raise ph? Since setting up my tank my ph has sat around 7.6-7.8 so I feel I need to buff it when I get to adding coral, I have been using tropic Marin reef salt since I set the tank up. Given my ph is a bit on the low side, is all for reef a viable option? Or am I going to need to look at alternatives that will buff ph? I assumed since it raises alkalinity it would have to, if it doesn’t, why not?

Top Shelf Aquatics

n2585722

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think pH will be more dependent on the CO2 in your air than dosing All For Reef or even KH Buffering. I do both and the KH buffering is one of Randy's recipes with baked baking soda. Here is a graph of my tank with pH and alkalinity readings. My house is always closed up with AC or heating running. It is just two of use and our cat but it has a effect on thr ph. The glitches in the pH graph are from when it was calibrated. The top graph is just temp. The days I am gone the pH does increase. When we have more people in the house the pH really drops. When the grandkids were over I could tell when they would leave the house and come back by the pH of the tank.

IMG_8839.png

GT3000XX

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH runs 7.79-7.85. (fish only aquarium) The only way I was able to get it up was with a CO2 scrubber. It now runs 8.15-8.25 with the scrubber. As previously mentioned it usually is CO2 bringing it down. Buffers are only a short term fix and can precipitate out and calcify your equipment.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been set up for around 9 months now, currently just a fish only tank, looking to add some coral in the next few months. I am going to start with a few soft coral and lps, going to be an lps dominant mixed reef, going to add a couple easier SPS in but later on. I have a dosing pump and reservoir, and planned on using all for reef, but I’m hearing that it does not raise ph? Since setting up my tank my ph has sat around 7.6-7.8 so I feel I need to buff it when I get to adding coral, I have been using tropic Marin reef salt since I set the tank up. Given my ph is a bit on the low side, is all for reef a viable option? Or am I going to need to look at alternatives that will buff ph? I assumed since it raises alkalinity it would have to, if it doesn’t, why not?

It is correct that All for Reef does nto raise pH, while many two part systems do. I personally would not use it in a tank where the pH got below 7.8.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back