Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re just starting I would test nitrate and phosphate. I like Hanna checkers the best for these 2 parameters as they are very accurate and easy to use. I would also test alkalinity. I use salifert and find it very easy to use and accurate. I would test calcium and magnesium once you plan to start adding corals with skeletons (SPS,LPS). I also use salifert for calcium and switch between aqua forest and salifert for magnesium. Hope this helps!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re just starting I would test nitrate and phosphate. I like Hanna checkers the best for these 2 parameters as they are very accurate and easy to use. I would also test alkalinity. I use salifert and find it very easy to use and accurate. I would test calcium and magnesium once you plan to start adding corals with skeletons (SPS,LPS). I also use salifert for calcium and switch between aqua forest and salifert for magnesium. Hope this helps!

Agree totally with this,..if you can’t afford the nitrate and phosphate checkers both at the same time, I would go for the phosphate checker first, followed by the nitrate, you can use the salifert nitrate test kit for nitrate in the meantime.

You will get a lot of people suggesting the Hanna for alk too, whilst it’s ok, it’s no more accurate then the salifert, which is a fraction of the cost and just if not more accurate, the Hanna alk is just a little easier to do the test, only worth getting if you have the spare cash, I have it but use Salifert, the Hanna sits unused now.

CLICK TO VIEW

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Fishing in the dark

Fishing in the dark

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a year and half in just started putting in corals get 2 or three and give them a month and watch hoe they thrive then add another. Was thinking of Hannas so good to know they are good. I was not happy with my test kit. Ty you were very helpful.

OP
OP
Fishing in the dark

Fishing in the dark

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree totally with this,..if you can’t afford the nitrate and phosphate checkers both at the same time, I would go for the phosphate checker first, followed by the nitrate, you can use the salifert nitrate test kit for nitrate in the meantime.

You will get a lot of people suggesting the Hanna for alk too, whilst it’s ok, it’s no more accurate then the salifert, which is a fraction of the cost and just if not more accurate, the Hanna alk is just a little easier to do the test, only worth getting if you have the spare cash, I have it but use Salifert, the Hanna sits unused now.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rumor has it that dkh can range from 7-11. I aim for 9. This way if it’s off 1 dkh then worse I can be is 8 or 10. Why I use API and a magnetic stirrer. Takes 9 drops to confirm. Grasp Hanna more accurate. Yet no evidence I should care if it’s 9 or 9.2.

BTW, some lose track and have come to realize it was 5 yet all inhabitants seemed fine because life adapts slowly to our mistakes. Same with creeping up to 14 because their dosing apparatus wasn’t calibrated. Why worrying about being 9.2 when I’m only seeing 9 not a concern that troubles me. Plus all hobby grade tests going to be slightly off and often amplified because we ourselves aren’t as precision as needed executing the test.

As for calcium and magnesium. Guess that depends if anything consuming it. I’d be more concerned about salinity and ph. Assuming something kept sensitive to it being off. Not all life require Acro level tolerances. It really depends

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
what is the best way to test alkilinity and should I be testing magnesium and calcium in reef tank
Hanna and salifert are the user friendly tests with good accuracy. Alk and Calcium work hand in hand hence the two part doing methods and kits on the market.
When both are balanced, its sets the path for good algae and coral growth. Generally when gets high, calcium is reduced and PH may climb

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back