Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm rebooting my tank from a long neglected softie tank to sps (180g display, system volume 285g including a 55 g refuge w chaeto and caulerpa on reverse day schedule).
I've been using instant ocean throughout.

Current parameters: alk 10.1; ca++ 490, ph 8.4-5; po4 1.0, no3 10.

I'm not quite where I want to be with po4 and no3 but I don't know that I can improve it much more. Note this is dramatically better than where I was 2 months ago with readings way off the charts for both. Ive been topping off with an ATO hooked up to a kalk resevoir, and I have probably overdosed the kalk a bit hence the very high pH. That said things appear to be on the right track with new spots of coralline popping up everywhere. Right now I just have a few leftover softies in the tank and no other corals. I won't put sps in until right parameter range and stable.
I'm reaching the end of my IO supply and need to order new batch of salt which I typically do in bulk.
From what I've been able to find the majority of folks here prefer an alk in the 8-8.5 range. I do not need to win the fastest growth award, but obviously I'd like the sps to grow and thrive.

My questions:
1- I don't think I can do much better with po4 since I'm using lathanum a couple times a week aiming for .03 po4 and still getting rebounds to 1.0. Nitrate seems to be dropping mostly because of water changes (about 15% weekly), the refuge chaeto don't seem to be growing much at all. Ive read here in these "higher" nutrient ranges higher alk is preferred, but I am not sure why?
2- IO and reef crystals have an alk of around 10. If it is true that in this nutrient range that higher alk offers some advantage, then I would think I'd go w a salt in the higher alk range like Reef crystal of red sea pro etc?
3- if an alk of 8-8.5 is better overall for sps; then I would have to change to a lower alk salt like red seas blue bucket etc.
4. I understand that stability w alk is a crucial point but I just need to know where to target. (?)

Appreciate some advice on this. thx!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put sps in now and don't worry so much about numbers. The key to keeping sps isn't having specific parameters. It's not changing things like crazy and when you do HAVE to adjust something (not just because it's slightly not ideal) make sure to make it a VERY gradual change over the course of a few weeks or months.

biom

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am keeping kH around 9 and can use whatever salt is available. I prefer blue Red Sea but happens to purchase black one- small market here so I have to be opportunistic :)
I would be careful adding SPS in tank with 1 ppm PO4 . The frags would be stressed since probably they would come from a system with much less phosphate

Nutramar Foods

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot imagine that your phosphate comes from feeding, it’s probably leaching from the rock.
I would not convert tank into SPS before this problem is resolved.

OP
OP
S

Spartan76

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful adding SPS in tank with 1 ppm PO4 . The frags would be stressed since probably they would come from a system with much less phosphate

I cannot imagine that your phosphate comes from feeding, it’s probably leaching from the rock.
I would not convert tank into SPS before this problem is resolved.

Ok I hear that. It's definitely leaching from the rocks. I'll keep at lowering it further and see where I'm at in a few weeks.

As for the alkalinity, any thoughts as to my questions there? I can change the alk more easily without sps in there.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your phosphates are 0.1 and not 1.0 then your in a good place to add SPS.

Just keep in mind, SPS like stability, not any specific number.

As far as ALK goes, anywhere between 7 and 10DKH is fine, just pick a number and try and keep it there.

Nutramar Foods

Alfie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put sps in now and don't worry so much about numbers. The key to keeping sps isn't having specific parameters. It's not changing things like crazy and when you do HAVE to adjust something (not just because it's slightly not ideal) make sure to make it a VERY gradual change over the course of a few weeks or months.
This is pretty much bang on. I have a tank full of sps and acros, PO4 - 0.6 and NO3 > 75 for over 2 years, stability is key

OP
OP
S

Spartan76

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - if my alk is at 10 I'll just go with that for the long haul and choose a salt that matches it.
I had read a few times somewhere here that higher alk somehow offsets a higher no3, but I don't know if that's actually true and ,if it is true, what in chemistry is that supports that concept.

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - if my alk is at 10 I'll just go with that for the long haul and choose a salt that matches it.
I had read a few times somewhere here that higher alk somehow offsets a higher no3, but I don't know if that's actually true and ,if it is true, what in chemistry is that supports that concept.
Pics please.

First determine what range you want to run all parameters and then focus on stability.
No3<5 po4 <.1. Yours are fine you just need to keep a eye on them.
What is your mag level?

Alk can be lowered to whatever level you want with sodiun bisulfate. Its what I do. Just pic a salt with your ca and mag levels and your good to go.

I am not a fan of high alk. I run 6.5-7.5 with a target of 7. My corals grow quite well at close to NSW levels. You can check my build threads.

Also start a "build thread" so we can all follow and you can document your progress.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jason_MrFrags

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
.1 po4 your all set. For Alk I try to target 8. With lower nutrient tanks if you get 8.5dkh+ then alk burn on the tips is possible. As you get a tank full of corals you will find that they actually suck all the nutrients out of the system and then you will have issues with trying to keep them up.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back