alkalinity differance between store and home when purchasing sps frags

Bruceh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are people managing any potential alkalinity differance between store and home when purchasing sps frags.
I currently try to keep my tank around 8 dkh which seems compatible with that of many coral farms in Canada.
I realize that the commonly recommended max alkalinity swing is 1 dkh per day and hence currently presume that this applies to the differance between coral farm water and home reef tank when transferring frag from store to home.
Does anyone have experience with purchasing an sps frag from a source with dkh significantly differant from the home tank ?
Does this concern anyone else when buying sps frags?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may get upset or even annoyed with bigger pH changes, but they will survive 2 and even 3 dKH change all at once. It just takes them a few days to get used to the new level.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals get zero acclimation.
Straight from Their shipping bag into the dip (KCL) and then into a “wash” of straight tank water to remove excess dip, and then straight into the tank.

The only “acclimation” they get is being on the sanded for a few days to let them adjust to my lights.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals get zero acclimation.
Straight from Their shipping bag into the dip (KCL) and then into a “wash” of straight tank water to remove excess dip, and then straight into the tank.

The only “acclimation” they get is being on the sanded for a few days to let them adjust to my lights.
+1 to this.
Just light acclimation.
Dip, rinse, in to new tank.

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand but I am asking about situations where there is a large differance in dkh

I can’t comment on that because come to think of it, I have no clue at all what sky my local store keeps their water at.

I’ve always come home, floated bag to bring temp up, then dipped and in to tank. Never had an issue that way. That being said, there’s a possibility my dkh is very close to my store.

OP
OP
B

Bruceh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment on that because come to think of it, I have no clue at all what sky my local store keeps their water at.

I’ve always come home, floated bag to bring temp up, then dipped and in to tank. Never had an issue that way. That being said, there’s a possibility my dkh is very close to my store.
I was the same but recently started thinking about this

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand but I am asking about situations where there is a large differance in dkh
Just how big of a difference in dKH do you consider to be "large"?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm becoming increasingly suspicious of fear around alk swings. I never alk acclimate and have had no issues.

In fact, I had no losses when my doser dumped the whole alk reservoir in one go. Spike well over 25dkh (4x 15% water changes took it down to readable on hanna checker) then I spent another 24 hours dropping it 2-5 dkh per water change till I hit 14. Figured it had been long enough that any damage would have happened already and I was tired. The only noticable change was the long spined urchin turned into a no spined (but still alive) urchin.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've had 1dkh swings up and down with no problems multiple times.

Constant swinging I'm sure would be a problem. But one swing from store tank to my tank I'm pretty sure is okay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bruceh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm becoming increasingly suspicious of fear around alk swings. I never alk acclimate and have had no issues.

In fact, I had no losses when my doser dumped the whole alk reservoir in one go. Spike well over 25dkh (4x 15% water changes took it down to readable on hanna checker) then I spent another 24 hours dropping it 2-5 dkh per water change till I hit 14. Figured it had been long enough that any damage would have happened already and I was tired. The only noticable change was the long spined urchin turned into a no spined (but still alive) urchin.
Thanks. That is helpful

OP
OP
B

Bruceh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have acros?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back