Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I use a Trident to test all the default 4 times a day - midnight,6am,noon,6pm and I dose alk supplements after those tests to correct back to where I want... Naturally as alk is consumed I'm basically testing at the low points before correcting it up causing swings as it's consumed and re-add... So here's what I'm curious about...

Tank is SPS dominate and as my alk usage increases these swings are getting larger... What used to be .1 or .2 dkH swings in each period are getting closer to .5 as things grow... Do I need to "spread out" my dosing more to avoid this? Right now I'm using kalk at night and 2 part during the day with some kalk in between doses during the day and vacuum snuck in twice a day. Kalk is mainly for helping pH. Here's a snapshot photo of what my dosing schedule looks like...

Trying to keep things as stable as possible so any suggestions welcomed as far as timing or dosing...

Alk - targeting 8.2/ 8.3
Calc - targeting about 450, currently 420
Mag - target 1450, currently about 1500
Nitrate about 8, phos about 0.06
PH currently 8.1 to 8.3

PXL_20230225_194112108.jpg

Nutramar Foods

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a calcium reactor that runs 24/7. If you figure what your typical consumption is in 6 hours, I would think you could dose that amount constantly, (or just slightly less) and then let your Trident set up fill in the gaps?

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, is Alkalinity consumption related to light (photosynthesis) or pH? If it’s light, alkalinity swings with calcium reactors can be quite large. Same with kalk, but doubly large if only dosed at night. Unless it’s pH, if steady.

Edit - if it’s light, is that because pH has increased?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As KrisReef mentioned, dosing a floating baseline and then adjusting from there based on actual tests would help you to moderate the swings.

I run a CaRx and have my Alkatronic test every 6 hours. Based on the most recent alk test, I have my CaRx either slowdown or speedup the effluent flow rate to try to keep as close to 8.6 dKH as possible. I also vary the flow rate over the 24 hour cycle to account for more alk needs during the light cycle and less at night.

A similar approach would help you to keep alk steadier. That being said, most people would say that a .5 dKH swing is nothing to be worried about.

AMWts8CDAj2jHgiAXilvgWT5L1r6uj8j4rItMBUlTPJFdlhd0g8GOpeQMALfQyNGrOrp0DABt-37-piCCrTzrCIb-W8yK1-S3D3H9TDGc9SIW_hFLA6G6-Oig4dHXdYE_FYApcwTk2Gw6VB-3OxXWyAbfRrGGA=w460-h945-no

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As KrisReef mentioned, dosing a floating baseline and then adjusting from there based on actual tests would help you to moderate the swings.

I run a CaRx and have my Alkatronic test every 6 hours. Based on the most recent alk test, I have my CaRx either slowdown or speedup the effluent flow rate to try to keep as close to 8.6 dKH as possible. I also vary the flow rate over the 24 hour cycle to account for more alk needs during the light cycle and less at night.

A similar approach would help you to keep alk steadier. That being said, most people would say that a .5 dKH swing is nothing to be worried about.

AMWts8CDAj2jHgiAXilvgWT5L1r6uj8j4rItMBUlTPJFdlhd0g8GOpeQMALfQyNGrOrp0DABt-37-piCCrTzrCIb-W8yK1-S3D3H9TDGc9SIW_hFLA6G6-Oig4dHXdYE_FYApcwTk2Gw6VB-3OxXWyAbfRrGGA=w460-h945-no
Would you surmise that Alk consumption is determined by exterior pH (water) or coral interior pH (photosynthesis within the animal)?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you surmise that Alk consumption is determined by exterior pH (water) or coral interior pH (photosynthesis within the animal)?
I would normally consider alk consumption due to depositing calcium carbonate, so typically tied to photosynthesis. However, higher pH does tend to increase alk consumption which most people attribute to corals having an easier time to depositing calcium carbonate at higher pH's.

Nutramar Foods

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would normally consider alk consumption due to depositing calcium carbonate, so typically tied to photosynthesis. However, higher pH does tend to increase alk consumption which most people attribute to corals having an easier time to depositing calcium carbonate at higher pH's.
Wonder why corals would not calcify at night, if appropriate pH thresholds are met?

OP
OP
penguinexdeus

penguinexdeus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify... I'm not seeing the swings in my testing... My testing is pretty consistent because of consistent testing and dosing times... The swings are based on the consumption I experience in the testing between. So if Im consuming .5 dkH in 6 hours... Should I be dosing every 3 so that the actual swing is .25 vs .5. it's not causing me a problem but let's say later when everything has grown more, what if my consumption becomes 1dkh in 6 hours.... That's a 1dkH swing every 6 hours... I could test and dose at the same times I am now ( just dosing more) for higher consumption and everything looks the same as it does now. I guess this is a philosophical question on how to correctly dose. If I wasn't automatically testing and dosing and just manually testing and adjusting once a day those could be some very extreme daily swings...

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify... I'm not seeing the swings in my testing... My testing is pretty consistent because of consistent testing and dosing times... The swings are based on the consumption I experience in the testing between. So if Im consuming .5 dkH in 6 hours... Should I be dosing every 3 so that the actual swing is .25 vs .5. it's not causing me a problem but let's say later when everything has grown more, what if my consumption becomes 1dkh in 6 hours.... That's a 1dkH swing every 6 hours... I could test and dose at the same times I am now ( just dosing more) for higher consumption and everything looks the same as it does now. I guess this is a philosophical question on how to correctly dose. If I wasn't automatically testing and dosing and just manually testing and adjusting once a day those could be some very extreme daily swings...
If your consuming 1dkh in 6 hours, wow, but I doubt it. Dunno how big your tank is or your Alk consumption but there’s a load of options to replenish. Are you stressing about something that hasn’t happened yet?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
penguinexdeus

penguinexdeus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your consuming 1dkh in 6 hours, wow, but I doubt it. Dunno how big your tank is or your Alk consumption but there’s a load of options to replenish. Are you stressing about something that hasn’t happened yet?
Little bit yeah, but it's an exaggerated case. As I moved from daily manual dosing to automated dosing and testing once I got an apex and as i've watched my consumption increase from .1 dkH up to .3 every 6 hours as things started to grow I started to wonder (philosophically of course) if there's a correct way to dose... Or if success is only possible in high consumption tanks with lots of testing and automation to dose continuously in the day. I don't have space for a calcium reactor, and barely managed to fit my kalk dosing in with the two part to help with low ph

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little bit yeah, but it's an exaggerated case. As I moved from daily manual dosing to automated dosing and testing once I got an apex and as i've watched my consumption increase from .1 dkH up to .3 every 6 hours as things started to grow I started to wonder (philosophically of course) if there's a correct way to dose... Or if success is only possible in high consumption tanks with lots of testing and automation to dose continuously in the day. I don't have space for a calcium reactor, and barely managed to fit my kalk dosing in with the two part to help with low ph
I had a softy tank for 10 years just on 25% kalk. My current SPS cube is just on kalk, no automation, just paying attention. You’ll be grand :)

OP
OP
penguinexdeus

penguinexdeus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a softy tank for 10 years just on 25% kalk. My current SPS cube is just on kalk, no automation, just paying attention. You’ll be grand :)
Unfortunately I hit my evaporation limit with alk... As I was hoping for the same... But I've had to supplement with 2 part

Nutramar Foods

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are thinking tne right thoughts.
Currently you are measuring and reacting.
We can guess the alk consumption profile during the day tomorrow based on todays measurements and todays dosing.
Can you add more before peak consumption to minimize swings?
Are there alk swings daily in the ocean?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder why corals would not calcify at night, if appropriate pH thresholds are met?

I think we do not have the data to disentangle the pH and direct light effects.

I'd still waiting for someone to have a reverse pH swing due to a huge reverse lit refugium, and then track alk consumption over 24 h. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Randy confirmed, the ocean does not have significant alk swings over 24 hours.
We always say for success keep parameters steady. Shouldnt this include alk levels?
If you know how much the tank consumes, cheating the dose higher just prior and during peak consumption might minimize the daily swing.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back