Alk of kalk slurry

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the double post here and in the chemistry forums. Working on this assessment and looking for a quick answer…

I know there isn’t a definitive answer for a suspension, but I’m looking for a ballpark range for alk of a super saturated kalk slurry.

Background - I’m helping another member with an insurance claim on his coral farm. As a liquid handling/reactor SME in biotech, the insurance company agreed to accept a root cause analysis from me. If the equipment can be even partially blamed for the incident, he can recover some of his losses from insurance. I believe a kalk reactor design flaw may have contributed to the dumping of a large amount of kalk slurry into the system which led to a massive alk and pH swing before any controller could shut down the reactor. A key piece of evidence would be to reconcile the volume of liquid that would theoretically be dumped in the suspected failure mode with the observed alk/pH spike and theoretical spike from that volume of kalk slurry.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copied from the other thread:

The only way to figure slurry potency is to know how much is suspended in how much liquid. Then use this calculator with the entry for solid calcium hydroxide.

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back