Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been fighting algea on some frag plugs for a while --- i have been picking it off and i have used a phosphate binder

via deltec phosphate test kit reading is .01 but the same pluggs still get algea (from ones i have collected from other members and ones i have made my self)

what does everyone else do about this problem?

World Wide Corals

Darren

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chelsey I do not have an answer but just an observation. I have used Aquamend to bond my frags to LR or to build a "ramp" for my Lord and Micro frags to make an easier transition down to the LR. The Aquamend gets coated in algae very soon after being placed in the tank. I do not see this algae growing on my LR. Perhaps some synthetic materials are magnets for algae?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Marine Flora

marine planted tanks
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--- i have been picking it off

thats probably the last thing you want to do... especially if your doing it in the water. your just asking for it to spread. most of the time, you can break off the rock w/ the nuisance algae. if its certain types of hair algae that grows on the coral.. i just chop it up as a loss and chuck it.

for EXTREME nuisance algae removal... bust out your torch and burn the rock. this is if your tank looks like a lawn that hasn't been cut for years... this is if your ready to call it quits and restart.

in one of my experiences.. i picked up some free dried fiji rock a few years ago.. washed it off put it in the tank to cycle.. and wham all this hair algae growth during the cycle. needless to say, there is a reason why it was free. i soaked it in some water then went to work on it w/ a torch. i left it to cycle after the rock looked burnt. i can say that after doing that, i had NO hair algae on those rocks. the rocks eventually were covered in coraline in afew months time.

msman825

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few free BIG pieces that was covered in HA, I took it to the beach and threw it in were the tide would move it around and the sand cut it right off. theres even a few still down there i dont have room for.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back