Algae scrubber - Santa Monica (bubble) vs Clear Water (pump)?

Deltec

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm going to give Algae scrubbers a try. I am looking at the Santa Monica HOG (bubble type) or a Clear Water (plumbed type).

Has anyone had experience with one kind vs the other? I'm interested to hear your experiences with either specifically those manuf/models or just between the two types.

I have room to plumb one in, but also like the smaller install/footprint of the bubble style... Curious if anyone feels one is better than the other?

Thanks!

AS

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an IceCap (plumbed type) and a small Santa Monica HOG. They both work and, like you mentioned, there are situations where both of them may be the best solution. That said, if you have room I would recommend that you take a strong look at the IceCap (or comparable). I have had mine for about 9 months and continue to be pleased with the performance.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IceCap (plumbed type) and a small Santa Monica HOG. They both work and, like you mentioned, there are situations where both of them may be the best solution. That said, if you have room I would recommend that you take a strong look at the IceCap (or comparable). I have had mine for about 9 months and continue to be pleased with the performance.
I'm so torn. :)

Do you run your IceCap off of the return or have a separate pump for it?

But I do like the fact that the HOG is just a simple air pump that makes it work. :)

Nutramar Foods

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm so torn. :)

Do you run your IceCap off of the return or have a separate pump for it?

But I do like the fact that the HOG is just a simple air pump that makes it work. :)

I have a separate pump coming from the sump. I added a small IceCap EVO pump, but any small pump would work fine. FWIW, I would buy the IceCap scrubber again. Good luck with whatever you choose!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ice Cap and clear water. I Have CW and excellent unit, easy to clean and hear all good on ice Caps. Both require external pump which is no issue for me.

paintman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clearwater scrubber. it's been running for about 5 weeks now and I am just starting to see some algae growth at the bottom of the screen. I am feeding it off a small sicce pump in the sump. Only complaint is the lid is so tick poorly made, after only about a week, the heat from the lights warped the lid to the point it does not sit flat on top of the unit.. Plus the fact they want another $60 for guards to limit the light spill out the sides. If i had to do it again I would go with a Sant Monica!
UKJ5Jyv.jpg

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a Clearwater scrubber. it's been running for about 5 weeks now and I am just starting to see some algae growth at the bottom of the screen. I am feeding it off a small sicce pump in the sump. Only complaint is the lid is so tick poorly made, after only about a week, the heat from the lights warped the lid to the point it does not sit flat on top of the unit.. Plus the fact they want another $60 for guards to limit the light spill out the sides. If i had to do it again I would go with a Sant Monica!
UKJ5Jyv.jpg
For light guards- I cut out cardboard and sprayed them with lacquer. Using them over a year and still works.

Avast

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked up an icecap over the presidents sale. Can't wait to see the benefits. :)

Thank you guys for all of the input!

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hows youre icecap doing any input or review?
It's actually doing pretty good!

I'll get a pic of it dirty on Saturday when I clean it.

I was able to stop.using phosgaurd and keep my posts around .07-.14

I still wanted it lower so I bought a larger skimmer.

That's breaking in so fingers crossed it lowers it enough I can really start feeding the corals ;Facepalm

Top Shelf Aquatics

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Clearwater due to space constraints: easier for me to have it suspended over my sump with a small pump than one of the Santa Monica scrubbers that would be the appropriate size for my tank.

I know several people on here who have had great experiences with both. Just went with what worked for my system. I’ll report back when I have my system up and running.

madlos123

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually doing pretty good!

I'll get a pic of it dirty on Saturday when I clean it.

I was able to stop.using phosgaurd and keep my posts around .07-.14

I still wanted it lower so I bought a larger skimmer.

That's breaking in so fingers crossed it lowers it enough I can really start feeding the corals ;Facepalm
any issues? like leakage, warping, light problems, water spraying? those are what i found around?

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any issues? like leakage, warping, light problems, water spraying? those are what i found around?
I haven't had any leak issues...

I have it about 6"-8" inches above the water so there is a bit of splashing but that's on me. A tube to the water would fix that.

Light does spill put of the sides a bit but it's in a cabinet so I don't see it.

If I could go back with what I know, I would have went with a Santa Monica so I could float it in my sump.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Bleigh

The lich queen
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a Clear Water algae scrubber a few weeks ago. Super happy with it so far. Has algae growing, but haven't harvested yet. I happen to like the pink light. I added a pvc pipe with a T, it's dead silent.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving my Santa Monica Rain. Took a while to understand the process and realize how it works. Totally happy with it. Don't even need the skimmer for nutrient export, but I still keep it running to help with oxygenation.

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back