Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added an algae scrubber inline before my stand alone refugium. I have had a Santa Monica scrubber, one of the very early ones, sitting around for quite a while. One of the T-5 lights on the side of the scrubber had failed a while ago due to water leaking into the ballast area so I decided to purchase a couple of LED grow lights from amazon and replace both of the T5's. The setup came out pretty well as I'm able to rest the scrubber on the bracing of the fuge and let the drain feed the fuge. I'm using a ball of cheato in the refugium for now. I'm wondering if it may be overkill on the fuge/scrubber. This is in preparation for an upcoming replacement of the current 120 gallon display with a 280 gallon display that will happen in about a month.
I also have a question about using "miracle mud" in the bottom of the fuge with some caulerpa growing inside instead of the cheato. I've used a fuge like this years ago and it was an effective way of raising a lot of natural food for the animals. I can filter out the detritus before it arrives at the scrubber so that I don't end up with a toxic sink in the bottom of the fuge. any thoughts?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may see a degradation of the macro algae in the fuge. A properly setup/sized ATS (algae scrubber) with good filamentous algae growth can out compete macro algae. Just the nature of filamentous algae as they are one of the fastest nutrient uptake organisms (along with bacteria). An ATS (or two) can actually function as the only nutrient uptake in a system eliminating need for skimmers, fuge, etc. Wouldn't overly concern myself with filtering pre-ATS doesn't really matter. If you have a lot of detris/floating debris filter, but the ATS can take it.

A lot of folks swear by Miracle Mud - never used it myself so can't comment but will admit I like the simplicity/natural approach.

I use ATS only (along with UV). However, if I wanted a fuge for the diversity, macro algae or simply because Mud or a remote sandbed was my preference, I may forgo the ATS or just ramp it up very slowly so as not to throw the fuge out of whack.

OP
OP
Dgunn

Dgunn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendation, I had assumed that it was probably too much filtering for that sized system. I'm okay with the skimmer not producing much skimmate, I will just monitor it.
I was impressed by Mantis's TOTM and the fact that he runs a sump full of live rick to maintain biodiversity. Some of the "old school" practices seem to be no longer in existence. I may opt for the "miracle mud" once I have the new tank set up and begin stocking with fish.

Avast

Quietman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendation, I had assumed that it was probably too much filtering for that sized system. I'm okay with the skimmer not producing much skimmate, I will just monitor it.
I was impressed by Mantis's TOTM and the fact that he runs a sump full of live rick to maintain biodiversity. Some of the "old school" practices seem to be no longer in existence. I may opt for the "miracle mud" once I have the new tank set up and begin stocking with fish.
Agree with the old school approaches being out of favor. I'm partial to natural approaches over all but do like a bit of tech when it's simple, reliable and makes sense. In my case - UV filtration. But the basics on nutrient management - prefer going the ATS, DSB, Refugium (Cryptic and Macro types) over skimming and forced media options. My optimum choice is ATS filtering.

I will run a skimmer early on as tank stabilizes and ATS comes on line but it's not long term for me. Nice to have if something gets out of whack as well. Also not into roller mats or socks...prefer easy in/out sponges.

But I'm not going with any high end, difficult SPS or livestock either. Nor am I in this to be a tech head. I want it simple, attractive and fun. And 'old school' over 'high tech' does that for me.

OP
OP
Dgunn

Dgunn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Quietman, this is off the topic but I see that your in Indiana. I'm planning on attending the fragswap in Indy next saturday, I'm hoping to pick up a few frags to begin growing out for the new tank. Have you ever attended this swap? is it worth the three hour drive each way? thanks, Doug

Seansea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya think it will be overkill altho a refugium can be an interesting thing all to its own. But ATS'S are so effective that i cant imagine having tank without one. The box itself grows alot of critters and pods in it but get removed when i clean it. Thinking about throwing an emarald crab in There to see if he can just clean the algae as it grows.

CLICK TO VIEW

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added an algae scrubber inline before my stand alone refugium. I have had a Santa Monica scrubber, one of the very early ones, sitting around for quite a while. One of the T-5 lights on the side of the scrubber had failed a while ago due to water leaking into the ballast area so I decided to purchase a couple of LED grow lights from amazon and replace both of the T5's. The setup came out pretty well as I'm able to rest the scrubber on the bracing of the fuge and let the drain feed the fuge. I'm using a ball of cheato in the refugium for now. I'm wondering if it may be overkill on the fuge/scrubber. This is in preparation for an upcoming replacement of the current 120 gallon display with a 280 gallon display that will happen in about a month.
I also have a question about using "miracle mud" in the bottom of the fuge with some caulerpa growing inside instead of the cheato. I've used a fuge like this years ago and it was an effective way of raising a lot of natural food for the animals. I can filter out the detritus before it arrives at the scrubber so that I don't end up with a toxic sink in the bottom of the fuge. any thoughts?
My 2 cents is that it’s probably too much and one algae source will outcompete the other and you’ll see degradation or melting in one. I’m not a fan of ATS’s (cost and cleaning) but after a lot of reading a while back, they do in fact
Outcompete Chaeto. I still run with Chaeto and no ATS because maintenance is less and I think a refugium at a big enough size can offer a lot of benefits and effectively do the same thing as the ATS if you have the room.

I don’t run caulerpa because once it escapes, it escapes forever. I also hear if you play Rihanna too close to the tank it will go sexual and spread everywhere. That being said, I think it looks better when planted vs a big ball of floating chaeto.

I ran miracle mud for about 2 weeks before I got tired of the soupy mess. The only thing worse about the little silt storms was cleaning it out of my sump. I don’t recall what’s in it but nowadays I don’t put things in my tank that “contain or may contain nutrients and minerals” in my tank. I like to be able to quantify and monitor things on my display.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Brite the professionals choice
Back