Algae problem after moving

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9898.jpeg
IMG_9899.jpeg
At the beginning of this month I moved back to my parent’s house after a breakup. Before the move I had pretty much no algae in my tank but about a week afterwards I started getting brown hair algae all over my rocks and now it’s getting out of hand. Nitrates and phosphates are both at 0 and I turned my radions to no white light for most of the day. Any suggestions on what to do?

Pics:

OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried to go the manual removal route but i need a better way of doing it than pinching it with my fingers and pulling it off because I end up not actually pulling it off. It just slips through my fingers because its so slimy

As for the CUC, I have a few turbo snails but they don’t really climb up on my rocks, just the sand and glass. Any suggestions as to what else i can use?

OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Only asking because one of my tanks looked similar a few months after I rescaped it with dry rock. 2 rip cleans and 14 months later its starting to turn around.
The tank is about 7 months old now. It went through this stage with cyano a couple months in but i cleared it up with chemiclean and it was fine after that. Now I’m back to not even having any space on my rock for corals

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is about 7 months old now. It went through this stage with cyano a couple months in but i cleared it up with chemiclean and it was fine after that. Now I’m back to not even having any space on my rock for corals
I got the algae first and used Flux and then cyano took over. I used chemiclean and then back with the algae again. I ended up stopping any chems and did manual removal. I didn't have much luck with inverts. Like I mentioned earlier I'm 14 months in and things are starting to turn around. It's a long process, at least for me. This is one of my cleaning sessions.
PXL_20240622_014712893.jpg

PXL_20240622_013806385.jpg

No more dry rock start ups for me. Fortunaly for me this isn't my only tank so I'm still able to enjoy the hobby.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back