Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you do if you had some zoas that got covered in a tough red wirey algae? it's really wierd, there is only one little frag in my tank affected by this, unfortunately it's one of my nicest ones (some kedd reds) :mad: and the algae is starting to totally smother the zoas and get in their mat. I have done what i could to scrub it off but even with my fingernails i can't scrape it off. So far i just made a small 4 polyp frag of the least affected area in hopes i can grow out a new (clean) colony. any other suggestions... are any dips effective against algae?

sorry the image is a little blurry, i haven't mastered the art of the tank photos yet :)
100_1003.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
spartanfish

spartanfish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a good skimmer (aquac remora) and about as much flow as the tank can handle (3 powerheads, the corals move quite a bit). for reference my tank is 37 gallons. I also have a 10 gallon sump with chaeto so i hoped that would help clean the water, but alas still have plenty of micro algae. my bulbs are less than a year old, maybe like 6 months, but this has been going on ever since they were new. my tank is a year and a half old and has had algae problems ever since day 1 :mad: I am working on a new water change schedule, hopefully that will help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spartanfish

spartanfish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, i am a sucker for feeding my fish... they always manage to convince me they are hungry even though they are fat... how often would you recommend feeding? I feed once per day right now.

ps - your eagle eyes are still the brightest zoa in my tank (bought them off you a while ago on RC) :)

Corals.com

Voltekker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I had an algea problem. Now its not really a problem at all I did two things. I adjusted my photoperiod. And I feed 2 or 3 times per week. Once a week I do one real heavy feeding where i get the corals and filters feeders and fish. The other two times its the fish and clean up crew that really eat. Lastly to help to start tackling the problem. I upped the alk. It makes the water "harder" so it grows less. I had hair algea though so it might be different. Ive read on other forums that the mexican turbos do like that red algea so id get a snail first.

BradL.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The turbos eat that feathery pink/red that sometimes comes in on chaeto and grows in the sump. I finally ended up cleaning out my fuge and starting with fresh chaeto and the stuff never came back. But the turbos eat that stuff like cotton candy.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back