Algae ID

sketh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Bryopsis Algae, my tuxedo urchin does not want to eat any of it which makes more sense.

Any confirmation on algae type/how I can combat it?

IMG_3690.jpeg

OP
OP
sketh

sketh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure it looks like bryopsis. Would you be able to take a closer picture?
Not sure if this helps, but attached are 3 more images. Cant get much closer without sacrificing picture quality.

Attachments

• IMG_3704.jpeg
    IMG_3704.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3705.jpeg
    IMG_3705.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3706.jpeg
    IMG_3706.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Not sure if this helps, but attached are 3 more images. Cant get much closer without sacrificing picture quality.
Not close to bryopsis but more like hair and turf algae. Bryopsis has a root system which this does not show, and would look like a cluster of ferns
Is your tank at or near a window?
Are you using tap water from faucet to mix your water?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
sketh

sketh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not close to bryopsis but more like hair and turf algae. Bryopsis has a root system which this does not show, and would look like a cluster of ferns
Is your tank at or near a window?
Are you using tap water from faucet to mix your water?
The tank is in the basement, far from any natural lighting. I use RODI water + salt for water changes and RODI water in ATO.

I’m thinking it’s likely an issue from high nitrates and high lighting. I already decreased lighting and am working on lowering nitrates.

Any other advice you can share to help me out? :)

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The tank is in the basement, far from any natural lighting. I use RODI water + salt for water changes and RODI water in ATO.

I’m thinking it’s likely an issue from high nitrates and high lighting. I already decreased lighting and am working on lowering nitrates.

Any other advice you can share to help me out? :)
Setting is good as often indirect sun can even be an issue. Light reduction help as is use of proper cleaner snails. Additionally, test your water source to assure you dont have a high level of phosphates coming through especially if your cartridges are expired or close to useful lie

Upvote 0

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes thank you. These pictures help. As others mentioned this looks like turf algae. A couple of large Mexican turbo snails and two or three lettuce nudibranches should do wonders. As you already mentioned nutrient balance will be important in helping you win this battle too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sketh

sketh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting is good as often indirect sun can even be an issue. Light reduction help as is use of proper cleaner snails. Additionally, test your water source to assure you dont have a high level of phosphates coming through especially if your cartridges are expired or close to useful lie
Forgot to include parameters in original post:
8.0 pH
0.25ppm Phosphate
~2.0ppm Nitrates
0.0ppm Nitrites

But also the tank is ~2 months old so I will replace the filter cartridge soon.

As @crazyfishmom , the parameters are in a good balance but I will try to move my Tuxedo Urchin towards the turf algae to hopefully get rid of it.

Thank you all for the assistance, greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Forgot to include parameters in original post:
8.0 pH
0.25ppm Phosphate
~2.0ppm Nitrates
0.0ppm Nitrites

But also the tank is ~2 months old so I will replace the filter cartridge soon.

As @crazyfishmom , the parameters are in a good balance but I will try to move my Tuxedo Urchin towards the turf algae to hopefully get rid of it.

Thank you all for the assistance, greatly appreciated!
If correct, the phos readings are a little high and will support algae growth. You want .06 - .1
I siuspect you are using API kit. Assure readings are accurate by taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia, phos and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

Upvote 0

iko2thdk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R. Would appreciate help with this algae I D which is progressively getting worse. A few months ago I treated the aquarium w fluconazole according to recommendations from my LFS. For sometime it appeared as if these growths had abated. Having a hard time keeping euphyllia type corals alive for more than 6 months. They always seem to begin to shrink and rarely seem to thrive. Zoas mushrooms and other softies seem to do quite well.

My parameters are concerning g because I cannot seem to maintain Nitrates. Obviously the algae growth is taking advantage and utilizing these nutrients. Phosphates are almost always below 0.1. Alkalinity between 9.5 and 10.5 and calcium about 400

I’ve done large water changes, cut back on lighting and yet the nuisance algae is thriving.

Would welcome some input and help. It is quite frustrating.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpeg
    IMG_1292.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1293.jpeg
    IMG_1293.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1294.jpeg
    IMG_1294.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0