Algae ID

ZzyzxRiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9238.jpeg
A little tuft has popped up- not sure if it’s hair algae or something else? Tank is 2 months in so still cycling but this looks different from everything else I have algae-wise so far.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thing on the right? It looks like xenia to me. If it is, it will spread like wildfire. It is not harmful except in the sense that it will outgrow almost anything else.

OP
OP
ZzyzxRiver

ZzyzxRiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thing on the right? It looks like xenia to me. If it is, it will spread like wildfire. It is not harmful except in the sense that it will outgrow almost anything else.
There’s a red arrow pointing up at it. The coral is a pipe organ. My Xenia in the background probably will take over at some point but I’ve been well warned haha

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah, sorry I'm a bit color blind. cloak may be right with bryopsis, it does start quite "tufty"

OP
OP
ZzyzxRiver

ZzyzxRiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pluck it off and let the tank do its thing. Build a diverse cleaner crew as conditions dictate.
I’m inclined to do that but I’ve read that plucking it will just spread it more. I do have room for an emerald crab that could potentially help! I’ve already adjusted lighting and how much I feed, too. I’d hate to mess with chemistry by using meds so soon in my tank’s journey.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m inclined to do that but I’ve read that plucking it will just spread it more. I do have room for an emerald crab that could potentially help! I’ve already adjusted lighting and how much I feed, too. I’d hate to mess with chemistry by using meds so soon in my tank’s journey.
Crab ain't gonna touch that. Your tank will be blasted with various ugly phases the first year. It is inevitable. Weekly water changes and focus on correct parameters.

OP
OP
ZzyzxRiver

ZzyzxRiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crab ain't gonna touch that. Your tank will be blasted with various ugly phases the first year. It is inevitable. Weekly water changes and focus on correct parameters.
I’m working on my patience for sure. Since you mentioned diversifying my CUC I’m curious what you think about what I’ve got so far in my 16g tank:
1 Trochus snail
1 tiger sand conch
1 nassarius snail
2 cerith snail
1 peppermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp (I think I’m going to remove this, it’s a little manic and trampling my zoas
1 sexy shrimp
And however many copepods are surviving.

Other livestock:
1 red scooter blenny
2 perc clowns

Do I have enough/the right clean up crew? Anything you’d recommend?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on my patience for sure. Since you mentioned diversifying my CUC I’m curious what you think about what I’ve got so far in my 16g tank:
1 Trochus snail
1 tiger sand conch
1 nassarius snail
2 cerith snail
1 peppermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp (I think I’m going to remove this, it’s a little manic and trampling my zoas
1 sexy shrimp
And however many copepods are surviving.

Other livestock:
1 red scooter blenny
2 perc clowns

Do I have enough/the right clean up crew? Anything you’d recommend?
Well you add more as the tank needs it. Eventually you will probably want 5 trochus, 5 cerith and 5 tongan nacarius along with a tuxedo urchin or 2.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back