Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it looks like Brown Hair Algae, let me know what you think.

Tank facts...
- RS 170, ULNS w/one Talbot's Damsel, SPS dominated
- Eight months old in this location but ~2.5 years running (transition to new apartment was smooth)
- NO3 tests at 5-10 ppm (Nyos kit)
- PO4 tests at 0.00 ppm (Hannah)
- Coral Box D300+ Skimmer (on 24/7, have also played around with running it at night only and with not running one at all)
- Mitras/T5 lighting (bulbs recently changed)
- 2x MP10s (85% reef crest)

Context:
- I feed the damsel 1-2 times a day (PE flakes) and feed the coral once a day (e.g. Coral AB+, EasySPS gel, Vitalizer)
- I have biological media in the sump with a lot of mature surface area and sponges
- RODI water (clean filters)
- 15% water changes every 7-10 days (ReefCrystals)

This brown hair algae has become more of a pest over the past 4-6 months. It hasn't changed based on which coral food I try.

I dose about 1.2mL of NeoPhos a day. I stopped dosing NeoNitro a few weeks ago to see if it would help. I was using both NeoNitro and NeoPhos previously, before hair algae became a thing.

I plan to add a fish or two and stop dosing NeoPhos as well. I just need to be careful about having food for the coral.

The algae isn't the end of the world but I think it does irritate some of the coral (and obviously doesn't look great). It makes me perform water changes more frequently to enjoy the tank (and my nutrients are low as is).

IMG_2476.jpg

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the vast majority of "brown hair algae" is green hair algae with brown epiphytes (dinos,diatoms, cyano etc) growing on it.
tear some off. put it in a bottle with a little tank water and shake it a bunch. See if the underlying hair algae is just normal GHA.

edit: second look, there's a bunch of brown stuff that I'd describe as more blobby and slimy than hair-like. especially growing out of corals. I think this will be majority dinoflagellates.

OP
OP
S

Spencer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the vast majority of "brown hair algae" is green hair algae with brown epiphytes (dinos,diatoms, cyano etc) growing on it.
tear some off. put it in a bottle with a little tank water and shake it a bunch. See if the underlying hair algae is just normal GHA.

edit: second look, there's a bunch of brown stuff that I'd describe as more blobby and slimy than hair-like. especially growing out of corals. I think this will be majority dinoflagellates.
What do you think I should do? I'll say it doesn't come off easily in sheets.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would say it looks like Brown Hair Algae, let me know what you think.

Tank facts...
- RS 170, ULNS w/one Talbot's Damsel, SPS dominated
- Eight months old in this location but ~2.5 years running (transition to new apartment was smooth)
- NO3 tests at 5-10 ppm (Nyos kit)
- PO4 tests at 0.00 ppm (Hannah)
- Coral Box D300+ Skimmer (on 24/7, have also played around with running it at night only and with not running one at all)
- Mitras/T5 lighting (bulbs recently changed)
- 2x MP10s (85% reef crest)

Context:
- I feed the damsel 1-2 times a day (PE flakes) and feed the coral once a day (e.g. Coral AB+, EasySPS gel, Vitalizer)
- I have biological media in the sump with a lot of mature surface area and sponges
- RODI water (clean filters)
- 15% water changes every 7-10 days (ReefCrystals)

This brown hair algae has become more of a pest over the past 4-6 months. It hasn't changed based on which coral food I try.

I dose about 1.2mL of NeoPhos a day. I stopped dosing NeoNitro a few weeks ago to see if it would help. I was using both NeoNitro and NeoPhos previously, before hair algae became a thing.

I plan to add a fish or two and stop dosing NeoPhos as well. I just need to be careful about having food for the coral.

The algae isn't the end of the world but I think it does irritate some of the coral (and obviously doesn't look great). It makes me perform water changes more frequently to enjoy the tank (and my nutrients are low as is).

View attachment 3025845
Not sure this is dino. Its filamentous and slimy looking which may actually be an lagae called lyngbya often confused with dino. Its a nuisance algae that prefers warm temperature tanks and can grow quickly. Unfortunately, best cleanup will be placing the rock in a tub of tank water and scrubbing off with a firm toothbrush or automotive detail brush and returning rock to tank, increase flow slightly, decrease white intensity slightly and adding cleaners such as Chiton snails, ninja star snails, Nerite snails, pith crabs and lg cerith snails.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RED SEA
Back