Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, looking to get an ID on this algae..

Never had any sorts of hair algae up until now, but looking to get an ID and best way to get rid of it. Raised the white lights to get a better view.. ignore the bubble algae, currently taking care of it, threw some emeralds in there 2 weeks ago and they been doing a fine job..

Ph: 7.8
Salinity: 34.8
Nitrate: 5-10
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Phos: .25-.5
Alk: 9

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG-20221210-WA0008.jpg

Nutramar Foods

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the urchin, but whats the best snail for the job?
You could try trochus snails or margarita snails or maybe a tiger cowrie which are reef-safe with caution. I personally just got several kinds of snails and I’d recommend you do the same if you haven’t.

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try trochus snails or margarita snails or maybe a tiger cowrie which are reef-safe with caution. I personally just got several kinds of snails and I’d recommend you do the same if you haven’t.
I have 5 trochus but they stick to the back glass and a couple of astraea but they dont seem to eat it.. I'll give Margarita a try, thank you!

Nutramar Foods

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 trochus but they stick to the back glass and a couple of astraea but they dont seem to eat it.. I'll give Margarita a try, thank you!
You could also try some big turbo snails - what size is the tank? One big turbo cleared all the GHA from my old 32 gallon in a week.

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also try some big turbo snails - what size is the tank? One big turbo cleared all the GHA from my old 32 gallon in a week.
I actually bought some turbos as well as margaritas.. I've seen em kinda nip at it but no luck yet.. currently have all the turbos on the back glass.. I also showed the lfs a picture of the algae just in case it was something else they said it could be bryopsis, I've seen pics and they look similar but i think its just GHA, it turns into a ball of gunk when i pull it out.. The GHA could be a little too long for them so might have to trim it down to give em a chance

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought some turbos as well as margaritas.. I've seen em kinda nip at it but no luck yet.. currently have all the turbos on the back glass.. I also showed the lfs a picture of the algae just in case it was something else they said it could be bryopsis, I've seen pics and they look similar but i think its just GHA, it turns into a ball of gunk when i pull it out.. The GHA could be a little too long for them so might have to trim it down to give em a chance
Margaritas are colder water species and rarely survive long in most tanks.

If you can pull the algae out easily by hand, it's not bryopsis... Bryopsis puts down pretty strong roots.

You are correct, nothing will really eat long hair algae... Trim it back or better yet, manually remove as much as possible and let the cuc keep it in check from there.

Sea hares are also great for GHA, but once they run out of algae they starve, so plan ahead and find out if you can return it to the LFS, or pass it on to another local reefer.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back