Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure this is green hair algae and NOT coralline in its green stage. Please correct me if I’m wrong! I noticed all the green in my tank, glass, frag plugs, and sand. it is spreading every day. Just installed a protein skimmer yesterday to help in the mean time. My lights are not on long AT ALL and I am DEFINITELY NOT feeding too much. Hard to get a nitrate reading because the algae makes it false. What do I need to do to stop it!?!? Pic’s attached below.

629CBA4B-9B7D-467B-8FBF-39E191C5D386.jpeg C94EE333-4D9F-484D-B614-F769A4A3CAF9.jpeg 7FC9548C-35C5-492B-87A6-411E3C162AA5.jpeg D8D7C0AB-D7E7-48F2-BF8A-1EB8D4F57D15.jpeg

AS
Nutramar Foods

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those white rocks are going to go through many more phases of algae and color changes before they’re covered in coraline.

I sometimes ponder if this exact mindset that you’re approaching reefing with isn’t the leading cause of Dino infestations and why they’re so prevalent. I use to be exactly like this and both times I got Dino’s. Feed your fish and feed your corals and feed them good. Run your skimmer and do your weekly water changes. Get a good CUC and stop being so afraid of a little bit of algae. At least it isn’t Dino’s

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Pretty sure this is green hair algae and NOT coralline in its green stage. Please correct me if I’m wrong! I noticed all the green in my tank, glass, frag plugs, and sand. it is spreading every day. Just installed a protein skimmer yesterday to help in the mean time. My lights are not on long AT ALL and I am DEFINITELY NOT feeding too much. Hard to get a nitrate reading because the algae makes it false. What do I need to do to stop it!?!? Pic’s attached below.

View attachment 3096618 View attachment 3096620 View attachment 3096621 View attachment 3096622
This is surface algae and normal with tank cycling. If you dont like the sight of it, you can reduce white light intensity a little and add some snails such as Astrea, cerith, turbo grazer and nassarius which will feed on this. You may have brown film coming known as diatoms.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Also. . . ..
Please Note: An emergency is a trauma or crisis situation in which one is losing fish rapidly, tank is leaking, coral suddenly turning white, as examples and these persons warrant immediate help and posting a basic question takes away from those who need immediate attention.
Just a clarification for you as if one day you have a true emergency, you cant get help fast enough and will hope someone is nt posting similar making you wait.

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also. . . ..
Please Note: An emergency is a trauma or crisis situation in which one is losing fish rapidly, tank is leaking, coral suddenly turning white, as examples and these persons warrant immediate help and posting a basic question takes away from those who need immediate attention.
Just a clarification for you as if one day you have a true emergency, you cant get help fast enough and will hope someone is nt posting similar making you wait.
He probably genuinely saw this as an emergency that’s the thing.

I think somehow. Somewhere there is something that is absolutely terrifying new reefers of algae. Something, somewhere has them so afraid to over feed that they barely feed their fish, don’t feed their corals ( look how pale OP coral are ) and they change water out like it’s going out of style. All because they’re afraid of algae. I have fell victim to it as well. TWICE! I don’t even know where my mindset came from either. I was changing out 50% weekly and BARELY feeding my fish and dosing MB7 like a madman along with running GFO.

Dino’s both times like clockwork l. I’m almost sure I could purposely create a Dino outbreak in a new system on demand.

both times.

You’re a reef wizard and I’m absolutely not in any way. But it’s just my observation

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
He probably genuinely saw this as an emergency that’s the thing.

I think somehow. Somewhere there is something that is absolutely terrifying new reefers of algae. Something, somewhere has them so afraid to over feed that they barely feed their fish, don’t feed their corals ( look how pale OP coral are ) and they change water out like it’s going out of style. All because they’re afraid of algae. I have fell victim to it as well. TWICE! I don’t even know where my mindset came from either. I was changing out 50% weekly and BARELY feeding my fish and dosing MB7 like a madman along with running GFO.

Dino’s both times like clockwork l. I’m almost sure I could purposely create a Dino outbreak in a new system on demand.

both times.

You’re a reef wizard and I’m absolutely not in any way. But it’s just my observation
I’m sure it was seen as such and wanted to clarify to avoid repeat for future non-emergency posts. Our fish medic group are alerted and at times miss a true urgency from such headings

AquaCave Logo Banner

Rocktron1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep all good mate. As per all above posts every new tank goes through this stage. My rocks were the whitest of white when I started. That colour will never be seen again haha
It's a sign the tank is maturing and the rock gets things growing on it that will eventually help your tank

Attachments

• IMG20230308154338.jpg
    IMG20230308154338.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 14
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back