Algae Barn Dry Live Rock/Tank Starter Packs?

Ecotech Marine

CloudReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone used the dry rock from algae barn and/or their Tank Starter Kits? It's a pretty good price and was wondering what people's thoughts on the rock are. How does it compare to other dry rock (like Marco Rocks) in terms of porosity?

Thanks!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to address your title so there’s no confusion. You seem new so let’s fix it

There is no such thing as dry LIVE rock. If it’s dry it’s dead rock and you’ll have to make it live.

To answer your question. Dry rock is dry rock. Some is more porous than others. You’re looking for porous, that’s what you want. Depending on your budget and the size of your tank. Buy Tampa Bay Saltwater ocean rock. You will not regret it I promise. I won’t lie. You’ll have a few aptasia to deal with but that’s child’s play. It’s not as bad as people make it out to be.

Avast
OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to address your title so there’s no confusion. You seem new so let’s fix it

There is no such thing as dry LIVE rock. If it’s dry it’s dead rock and you’ll have to make it live.

To answer your question. Dry rock is dry rock. Some is more porous than others. You’re looking for porous, that’s what you want. Depending on your budget and the size of your tank. Buy Tampa Bay Saltwater ocean rock. You will not regret it I promise. I won’t lie. You’ll have a few aptasia to deal with but that’s child’s play. It’s not as bad as people make it out to be.
Yeah fully aware of the difference. It's what Algae Barn calls it and so that's what I'm referring to it as.

Not really interested in actual wet, live rock. I don't want a rubble pile in my tank, have had it before and don't wish to do so again. Maybe a couple chunks of it but that would be it. I'll be building a dry aquascape and placing it into the tank once complete. Was looking at a couple of boxes of Marco Rocks shelf scape stuff too.

I don't really have a budget but also don't like to waste money either.

Thanks for the response!

Top Shelf Aquatics

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would question your statment that those packages have pretty good price, although this is obviously individual perception.
Did you try to calculate how much would it cost if you buy those things separately? I did. You can buy Dry Rock and "Live Sand" for about half of the price. Do you need bottled bacteria? I don't. I prefer some starter rock from other reefer, LFS or TBS.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW Caribsea sell life Rock.. it used to be live rock but they mined it and have some type of purple, let's call it beneficial bacteria paint to make it look purple.

I was down at Petco down in the United States and couldn't believe what they wanted for a 10 lb box. I picked up two 10 lb boxes from PetSmart in Canada for less than what they wanted for one box. I've had great luck with this rock so far, I pick it up sometimes and depending on the angle I'm holding it in the water I can just see all that very fine areganite dust just falling from the tiny pores inside the Rock.

OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would question your statment that those packages have pretty good price, although this is obviously individual perception.
Did you try to calculate how much would it cost if you buy those things separately? I did. You can buy Dry Rock and "Live Sand" for about half of the price. Do you need bottled bacteria? I don't. I prefer some starter rock from other reefer, LFS or TBS.
Well I was comparing it to two boxes of maro rocks shelf rock kits and 40# of caribsea argonite special grade. Definitely see your point now though!

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone used the dry rock from algae barn and/or their Tank Starter Kits? It's a pretty good price and was wondering what people's thoughts on the rock are. How does it compare to other dry rock (like Marco Rocks) in terms of porosity?
gae Barn
Thanks!
When you look at the picture from Algae Barn, it looks as their rock is Marco Rock, just rebranded and with an different price tag.
AlgeBarn.png

AquaCave Logo Banner
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back