Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Nano Tank for 2 yrs now and recently had some dinos and then brown hair algae then green algae. My corals never look great now and everything looks dead. I'm not a scientist and don't want to have to clean it everyday. My parameters always are fine but I do and did have by a window (no choice) but the blind is always closed. My weekend water change and manually removing algae is getting old. Now my hammer coral closed and head fell off. I have only 1 goby left now also. Phosphates were non existant this last weekend change. I had dosed with Vibrant starting off. I had tried Chem clean etc. Now I'm obviously frustrated and maybe need to throw in the towel. Will attach a pic.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Nano Tank for 2 yrs now and recently had some dinos and then brown hair algae then green algae. My corals never look great now and everything looks dead. I'm not a scientist and don't want to have to clean it everyday. My parameters always are fine but I do and did have by a window (no choice) but the blind is always closed. My weekend water change and manually removing algae is getting old. Now my hammer coral closed and head fell off. I have only 1 goby left now also. Phosphates were non existant this last weekend change. I had dosed with Vibrant starting off. I had tried Chem clean etc. Now I'm obviously frustrated and maybe need to throw in the towel. Will attach a pic.
Sorry for your troubles.
So many questions....
What is "parameters are fine"?
Are you using rodi?
What lights? Pumps/makers?

Maybe we can do a hard reset.

MikeCRK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ouch! Do not give up!

Chemiclean is only good for cyano. Nothing else.

I found that pumping KH is doing good fighting the plagues (I am not water readings freak, rather like to observe). The green stuff could come from the fact the summer is on, is your tank exposed to direct sunlight?

You must have some "issues" which are resulting in these. If the hammer got that hit, the algae is the least of the issue here in my opinion :)

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
K

Kbnano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

Attachments

• 20230528_082351.jpg
    20230528_082351.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230528_082343.jpg
    20230528_082343.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 38

MikeCRK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This rock does not look like two-year-old. It looks like fresh in fairness. What is your Ca reading and kH? Hammer snapped at the skeleton, as if not enough minerals for growth. Lack of coralline we would expect to see in older tank (see some on the glass alright).

OP
OP
K

Kbnano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is 2 yrs old but I also have treated and it turned light quickly. EDIT....THE HEAD DID NOT FALL OFF....it had fallen into the sand (its snugged between and on that rock).

Last edited:

MikeCRK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is 2 yrs old but I also have treated and it turned light quickly.

I would check the Ca, Mg and trace. That hammer would suggest something is odd with the balance allowing coral do build and maintain the skeleton. Clean glass daily to avoid build-up for now, filtering would suck the bad stuff out :) I am more than sure some more experienced peeps will pop in here with more details :)

OP
OP
K

Kbnano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles.
So many questions....
What is "parameters are fine"?
Are you using rodi?
What lights? Pumps/makers?

Maybe we can do a hard reset.
Correction...Hammer head did not fall off, it had fallen into the sand. Use Rodi water, standard light no upgrade. Fluval 13.5 gal.

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a good crew. I don't see hardly any in there. Find a diver from the Floriday keys and get some astreas, ceriths, urchin, some limpets, emerald crab. If your tank is really small, then ask for a small urchin, or skip it.

My tanks are a a few decades old and I have very low residual nitrate and phosphate and I would have algae everywhere if nothing was there to eat it.

Your nitrate needs to be reasonable for these things to live and thrive and really much down the algae.

OP
OP
K

Kbnano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a good crew. I don't see hardly any in there. Find a diver from the Floriday keys and get some astreas, ceriths, urchin, some limpets, emerald crab. If your tank is really small, then ask for a small urchin, or skip it.

My tanks are a a few decades old and I have very low residual nitrate and phosphate and I would have algae everywhere if nothing was there to eat it.

Your nitrate needs to be reasonable for these things to live and thrive and really much down the algae.
I do have a couple crabs and snails and astrea. But I do jot have urchins or the like. The one large crab used to be all over eating and seems to just molt often. Thanks! One more try.

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is small, then get some limpets. Urchins can be somewhat clumsy in small space. Urchins eat coralline too, but this is no issue for me and people with established tanks who hate coralline so much.

The limpets usually come on a shell or small piece of rubble. Add that to your tank too... it will add more diversity than any amount of bottles can deliver.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tunze
Back