Air stone in reef sump

cdwreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all i am new to saltwater reef tanks, and I have a question I own a CORALIFE 32 gal biocube stock reef set up that has three compartments in the back here's the question would there be any benifit to running an air stone in the sump for more oxygenated water in the display tank? and one other question the tank water is around 80 degrees and I have my heater turned off and room temp is steady at 72 degrees, are there any options to get tank water down and to hold around 78 degrees? Thank you in advance

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a small computer fan across the top of the tank will lower the tank temp by 2-3 degrees. Rodi icecubes can also help.

Airstone is always good to provide extra oxygenation, I think most of us are against it, due to the tiny micro bubbles that pop and splash when they rise to the surface, this creates bad salt creep buildup on everything, its very messy.

A better option is a protein skimmer, or if not, then aim a pwerhead at the water surface and get it agitated (the more surface agitation the better) to help with the gas exchange and oxygenate the water.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back