+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aiptasia-x TO KILL BTA ?

I have a BTA infestation; the tube method could potentially be promising (for others) however my rocks are very large ; I tried this method., And the sponge was a floater and was very difficult to position with the tube, and the rocks are so big, I would need a huge elastic, but also the rock is basically covered. I spent a good hour today blasting a small one and it would not move, I had a small pump with a tube attached and basically just blasted it, I tried desperately to remove it. No luck. All the other ones which are huge, and many small ones are so deeply embedded in the rock. I really feel like I have no choice. !, I live on the North Shore of Boston. If someone felt super confident, and they wanted these, I might consider discussing and having you come over to take them, but I really feel like it is a effort in futility. So the big question is does the product aptasia x work to kill these BTA ?

BRS

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aiptasia-x TO KILL BTA ?

I have a BTA infestation; the tube method could potentially be promising (for others) however my rocks are very large ; I tried this method., And the sponge was a floater and was very difficult to position with the tube, and the rocks are so big, I would need a huge elastic, but also the rock is basically covered. I spent a good hour today blasting a small one and it would not move, I had a small pump with a tube attached and basically just blasted it, I tried desperately to remove it. No luck. All the other ones which are huge, and many small ones are so deeply embedded in the rock. I really feel like I have no choice. !, I live on the North Shore of Boston. If someone felt super confident, and they wanted these, I might consider discussing and having you come over to take them, but I really feel like it is a effort in futility. So the big question is does the product aptasia x work to kill these BTA ?

This might help you find people local to you, if LFSs near you don't want to give you credit or help:

Perhaps you might just let those rocks go and get new BTA-free rocks... that way BTAs live, new BTA parents are happy, and you may have some extra $$ in your pockets - win - win - win ...

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it. We know what happens when a BTA gets caught in a powerhead, so a bunch dying all at once could potentially nuke the tank. I agree that selling the BTA covered rocks and replacing them with new non-infested rocks is a better idea. If it were my tank though, I'd be very happy as I love anemones. Perhaps add a bunch of clownfish and porcelain crabs and convert it into an anemone biotope? I hope that this helps!

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Carl C

Carl C

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might help you find people local to you, if LFSs near you don't want to give you credit or help:

Perhaps you might just let those rocks go and get new BTA-free rocks... that way BTAs live, new BTA parents are happy, and you may have some extra $$ in your pockets - win - win - win ...
I wonder though how much the rock which probably weighs 50 pounds contributes to beneficial bacteria ( like if I remove it does my phosphate spike ? ) interesting idea though….

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Also from the north shore (swampscott). Have you tried using the anemone cannon approach to removal? Try searching for threads about it on this site.

I bet you can find a member of our local club, the Boston Reefers, who would be happy to have them.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder though how much the rock which probably weighs 50 pounds contributes to beneficial bacteria ( like if I remove it does my phosphate spike ? ) interesting idea though….

take it out... whack it with a hammer... bits with BTAs go to new homes, bits without stay... and get some other rock...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Carl C

Carl C

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Also from the north shore (swampscott). Have you tried using the anemone cannon approach to removal? Try searching for threads about it on this site.

I bet you can find a member of our local club, the Boston Reefers, who would be happy to have them.
I tried it ; but did not give it the effort deserved I’ll try again… I’m in Nahant!!

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Carl C

Carl C

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed

Attachments

• C36AF96C-D510-4EE2-9F8C-265DCB815726.jpeg
    C36AF96C-D510-4EE2-9F8C-265DCB815726.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 41
Nutramar Foods

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take it out... whack it with a hammer... bits with BTAs go to new homes, bits without stay... and get some other rock...
^^^This. It's is almost impossible to remove a bta that is established without damaging the foot. I have some that are embedded 3-4 inches in the rock and disappear when they deflate.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aiptasia-x TO KILL BTA ?

Blast it all day with a powerhead then check at night and it is probably moving then.

I blast mine with flow but they never moved until after lights out. Probably want to sting some **** when they think I am not looking as retaliation!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^This. It's is almost impossible to remove a bta that is established without damaging the foot. I have some that are embedded 3-4 inches in the rock and disappear when they deflate.

Clarity* take ROCK out... whack it with a hammer...

do not take BTA out and whack it with a hammer...

Completely agree taking BTA off my force will do damage, and instead above was in reaction to saving some of their rock for its nitrification bacteria.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back