+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
this guy appeared from a rock I’ve had for months. Really hoping it’s not the dreaded. Looks a little different to what I’d expect so hoping it’s a good guy. Have a GBTA and a tri colour elsewhere in the tank. Added a few pics under different light, hoping some are sharp enough.
thanks

IMG_6281.jpeg IMG_6278.jpeg IMG_6273.jpeg IMG_6266.jpeg IMG_6271.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aptaisia and bubble algae. Those are 2 of the worst pests. I would pull the rock asap and frag that mushroom if you really want it, but better to sacrifice the coral rather than let those 2 pests free in your tank.

But if the rock is in your tank for a month already, keep an eye on your tank and be ready to act if you see them spreading

Top Shelf Aquatics

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae can be easyly manage with nutrient managment. Aiptasia with one of the fish, either file fish or Copper Banded Butterfly. This have always works well for me. CBB is a very delicate fish but such a joy to have in our tank.

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aptaisia and bubble algae. Those are 2 of the worst pests. I would pull the rock asap and frag that mushroom if you really want it, but better to sacrifice the coral rather than let those 2 pests free in your tank.

But if the rock is in your tank for a month already, keep an eye on your tank and be ready to act if you see them spreading
Holy overkill. Reminds me of a post I saw once on the internet about how to get rid of ants.

Get an ant eater. How do you get rid of an ant eater? Get a honey badger. How do you get rid of the honey badger? Get an anaconda. How do you rid of the anaconda? Hell if I know.

Just glue down the aptaisia, manage your nutrients and get a peppermint shrimp. Problem solved.

World Wide Corals

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy overkill. Reminds me of a post I saw once on the internet about how to get rid of ants.

Get an ant eater. How do you get rid of an ant eater? Get a honey badger. How do you get rid of the honey badger? Get an anaconda. How do you rid of the anaconda? Hell if I know.

Just glue down the aptaisia, manage your nutrients and get a peppermint shrimp. Problem solved.
Once bitten twice shy...

AS
OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me crazy but I actually think the bubble algae is quite cute. Kept it localised on this rock since I’ve had it, nitrates at 20 and phosphate at .02. I’m happy with that, also happy with one aip but less confident I have control over that one. I like the super glue idea, tho I imagine there’s more of these hiding away elsewhere on the rock, waiting to pop up

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tho I imagine there’s more of these hiding away elsewhere on the rock, waiting to pop up
This is where the peppermint shrimp comes in.

I believe there are two species though. Both are sold as peppermint shrimp and only one will partake in aiptasia. I could be mistaken on that.there are mixed results and opinions on this. But I have had incredible success with peppermint shrimp either eradicating or controlling aiptasia. Super gluing them is somewhat superfluous in my opinion. It feels good to be proactive so we do it.

To be honest I am pretty sure that emerald crabs handle bubble algae. I know I've always kept them and have seen them eat it when I would have some on a new rock. I don't know how much of it they eat though.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back