+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a DD Reef Pro 900 (90cm Width) Aquarium and wanted to look at lighting options. My initial plan was to run 2 AI Prime 16HDs.
I don’t want to keep any sps and would like to have a Nem only tank with some softies and the occasional LPS.
Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts and recommendations on lighting for this tank.
Thanks!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Prime 16 is a nano tank light, , I use this light almost at full strength on a 12" deep tank, I would not suggest this light for a 24" deep tank.

For me, I would get one proper sized light, instead of 2 nano lights. Even softies need strong light, and what if you want to try sps down the road.... Better to spend only once with the proper equipment.

OP
OP
A

Adzz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Prime 16 is a nano tank light, , I use this light almost at full strength on a 12" deep tank, I would not suggest this light for a 24" deep tank.

For me, I would get one proper sized light, instead of 2 nano lights. Even softies need strong light, and what if you want to try sps down the road.... Better to spend only once with the proper equipment.
What light would you recommend? I looked at x2 Hydra 26HD or Evergrow 5080it. Thanks

michael_cb_125

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 36x24x20 system at the moment. I will be using two Maxpect Ethereal fixtures. I have been using one of these lights for the last two years and have been very happy with the results (both in coral growth and color). The new system will be basically as you described, a softy/nem tank. That said, acros do great under Ethereal fixtures, with the proper placement.
Realistic coverage for these lights is 18". I see 24" listed often, but after 18" the PAR drops significantly.

I am not a fan of AI products at all. At one point I had 10 primes, and half a dozen other AI fixtures. Watch out for the RED death light on the primes.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Corals.com
Back