Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g long and am running these settings (light 12in from top of water and 24in from sandbed, settings pulled from ai prime's website as one of the presets):

IMG_4164.jpg

I have a few blue mushroom corals that I put in the tank 6 days ago. A few have attached to rocks while others are still in a cave that the current pushed them into, with the occasional one floating around the tank until it makes it's way to the cave again. They are all mainly a bright blue but some have some brown edges currently. I read that it could be my light settings but I was also told that since they are still new in the tank, they are just adjusting. Are these light settings good for mushrooms? I am also getting two hammers and some zoas tomorrow so I want to make sure I have the light settings down for those too! Thank you :)

PatW

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that mushroom corals are non photosynthetic corals. As such, they really do not gain energy from photosynthesis. That being the case, they do not need lights capable of delivering the photosynthetic spectrum. All you need with them as far as lighting is concerned is enough light to be pleasing to your eyes.

Now if you are thinking of adding photosynthetic corals in the future (like LPS or SPS), the AI Prime would be a good choice for your tank, It is a nice light having a controllable spectrum. You can use the AI control App and time the on off, the spectrum, the light levels and so on. And it is easy to do.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that mushroom corals are non photosynthetic corals. As such, they really do not gain energy from photosynthesis. That being the case, they do not need lights capable of delivering the photosynthetic spectrum. All you need with them as far as lighting is concerned is enough light to be pleasing to your eyes.

Now if you are thinking of adding photosynthetic corals in the future (like LPS or SPS), the AI Prime would be a good choice for your tank, It is a nice light having a controllable spectrum. You can use the AI control App and time the on off, the spectrum, the light levels and so on. And it is easy to do.
I am adding hammers and zoas tomorrow. Do my light settings look okay for those corals?

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back