Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried another outlet? Checked the breaker switches? Can't imagine an AI would do that, unless it is water damaged in some way. I had a fuse blow recently that did the same thing, but that was very noticeable as it caused a loud bang/pop as I plugged it in.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I plug my AI Prime in it trips the wall outlet and not sure why it’s doing that! Can someone tell me what’s happening or if my light has had it?
You say trips the wall outlet, I assume this is a gfci? If so, try a regular receptacle does the light power on if so try it on a gfci in the bathroom or kitchen, if those don't trip it's possible the light has an issue or the gfci has an issue itself. You could also get a gfci tester and see what it says, alot of times we will replace the gfci and that will fix the issue, but its possible the light has an issue and still "works " correctly, gfci receptacles trip for a few reasons but I would check it on another one to see if it holds or trips as well.

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say trips the wall outlet, I assume this is a gfci? If so, try a regular receptacle does the light power on if so try it on a gfci in the bathroom or kitchen, if those don't trip it's possible the light has an issue or the gfci has an issue itself. You could also get a gfci tester and see what it says, alot of times we will replace the gfci and that will fix the issue, but its possible the light has an issue and still "works " correctly, gfci receptacles trip for a few reasons but I would check it on another one to see if it holds or trips as well.
Yeah it’s a gfci but I don’t have it plugged into the gfci receptacle it’s self but it’s on the same wall and still trips it. It’s like it was gonna catch the outlet on fire when I plugged it in last night to make sure it was the light

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s a gfci but I don’t have it plugged into the gfci receptacle it’s self but it’s on the same wall and still trips it. It’s like it was gonna catch the outlet on fire when I plugged it in last night to make sure it was the light
It sounds like it's on the load side of the gfci "gfci protected" this could still be a light issue or possibly the gfci itself, or the way the duplex receptacle is wired or the condition of the wire.

Easiest thing first. Try it in another gfci to see if it trips in the same fashion, if not it points more to an issue with this tripping gfci or the receptacle it is protecting, but it could still be a light issue, if it doesn't trip the second gfci you try it in, do what you are most comfortable with, that may be trying to get a light replacement, but if a second known good light has the same issue I would look into getting a gfci checker and see if it says open ground or reversed polarity, if the checker checks out i would look into replacing the tripping gfci.

There's a few easy steps to try before messing with the wiring.

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it's on the load side of the gfci "gfci protected" this could still be a light issue or possibly the gfci itself, or the way the duplex receptacle is wired or the condition of the wire.

Easiest thing first. Try it in another gfci to see if it trips in the same fashion, if not it points more to an issue with this tripping gfci or the receptacle it is protecting, but it could still be a light issue, if it doesn't trip the second gfci you try it in, do what you are most comfortable with, that may be trying to get a light replacement, but if a second known good light has the same issue I would look into getting a gfci checker and see if it says open ground or reversed polarity, if the checker checks out i would look into replacing the tripping gfci.

Ok I really appreciate you and I’m gonna try it on a different gfci here shortly. It’s been running fine until last night but I did go up on the percentage of the leds itself about 10-15% like 2 weeks ago cause I had them too low

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah plugged it into a gfci receptacle in the kitchen and it’s not even coming on now and it’s not tripping it. There was a little water in the dc power box part so maybe I just need a new power cord

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah plugged it into a gfci receptacle in the kitchen and it’s not even coming on now and it’s not tripping it. There was a little water in the dc power box part so maybe I just need a new power cord
Yeah that's more than likely your issue, hopefully you can get another power supply for it, aqua illumination has pretty good customer service. Good luck with it from here

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's more than likely your issue, hopefully you can get another power supply for it, aqua illumination has pretty good customer service. Good luck with it from here
Yeah the light in the power block isn’t turning on even without the light plugged into it and the power block plugged in so I’m gonna start with replacing that.

Thanks again

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquarium Specialty
Back