Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon Red Sea nano cube. After i do a water changer is there anything I need to add?? Brightwell Chemicals?? Something else.
How big was your water change and how often do you do it? Just my opinion but I view water changes as “refreshing” things that may have been depleted and to remove stuff like detritus.

I test my tank the day before and the day after a water change to see what changes happen. That said, I don’t add chemicals etc unless they are needed.

AquaCave Logo Banner

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was your water change and how often do you do it? Just my opinion but I view water changes as “refreshing” things that may have been depleted and to remove stuff like detritus.

I test my tank the day before and the day after a water change to see what changes happen. That said, I don’t add chemicals etc unless they are needed.
GIF by FOX TV

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water that you’re adding in should match the water you’re taking out (temperature, salinity, alkalinity). I’m assuming this is a new tank and you’re a new reefer? I wouldn’t worry about pouring things into the tank just yet. Especially if it’s stuff you don’t have test kits for.

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with a new tank as well. I want to caution you that sometimes you can get carried away with water changes and drop your nutrient levels down to 0. Then BAM Dino’s are almost guaranteed. Especially if you started with dead dry rock, sand and a fishless cycle with bacteria in a bottle

never, ever run your tank at 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate. It may not be the exact cause of Dino’s. I’m not a scientist. But it’s very common occurrence in tanks that are nutrient starved.

It’s likely a combination of new reefers having a lightly stocked tank on top of being afraid of algae so they sparingly feed on top of doing water changes frequently. They create a nutrient starved system.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back