+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all! Thanks for reading.

I am about A year into the hobby with some pretty big projects at hand. So far I have relied on the help of an aquarium maintenance person for large water changes to the 240 gallon, but I think his advice is antiquated and I am mostly in charge of my three tanks myself. having researched and collected like a junkie, my tanks are more than packed! Below are photos of my 56 gallon and 240 gallons. I am just getting going on a 32 cube.

does anyone have advice on Triton versus hand dosing for LPS only tanks? I have tritons ready to install in two of my three tanks but do not have any logical space for them in the cabinets. I’ve heard so many mixed things about Tritons, discouraging things. And yet I think it’s time to bite the bullet and place them next to my cabinets. Thoughts on this?

I am testing daily and hand dosing magnesium, calcium and eight.four. I am reading about the importance of dosing elements (so far I have relied on food like fuel and restore, which seem like they would be inadequate to me?)

I’m just a newbie looking for advice! Can you tell me what You consider to be important dosing wise? I just bought some kalkwasser, iodine and I am now learning about the importance (??) of Iron, potassium and strontium (why don’t I hear more about strontium? A little research here you’ll do very little advice, though it does seem to be used as often as daily and small doses)

What is the communities take on hand dosing? I have very coral heavy LPS only tanks, do water changes every 10 to 14 days… My consumption is high and I am so glad that I am finally getting on top of replenishing calcium, magnesium and trying to level out my pH!)

THANK YOU!

Ps i’ve never posted my tanks on R2R, so thanks for taking a look! The first three pictures are the 240, the last is the 65.

DAAD4DA7-7B9C-4C97-9785-73D51B632BC0.jpeg 087D8FAE-D647-4690-A70A-80CAEFAAECA1.jpeg 9FBEE3B6-0921-41A0-8A1F-C4E9FA70BB05.jpeg 7E8D86DA-2F03-4F3C-892C-5175C4AB128B.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I am about A year into the hobby with some pretty big projects at hand. So far I have relied on the help of an aquarium maintenance person for large water changes to the 240 gallon, but I think his advice is antiquated and I am mostly in charge of my three tanks myself. having researched and collected like a junkie, my tanks are more than packed! Below are photos of my 56 gallon and 240 gallons. I am just getting going on a 32 cube.

does anyone have advice on Triton versus hand dosing for LPS only tanks? I have tritons ready to install in two of my three tanks but do not have any logical space for them in the cabinets. I’ve heard so many mixed things about Tritons, discouraging things. And yet I think it’s time to bite the bullet and place them next to my cabinets. Thoughts on this?

I am testing daily and hand dosing magnesium, calcium and eight.four. I am reading about the importance of dosing elements (so far I have relied on food like fuel and restore, which seem like they would be inadequate to me?)

I’m just a newbie looking for advice! Can you tell me what You consider to be important dosing wise? I just bought some kalkwasser, iodine and I am now learning about the importance (??) of Iron, potassium and strontium (why don’t I hear more about strontium? A little research here you’ll do very little advice, though it does seem to be used as often as daily and small doses)

What is the communities take on hand dosing? I have very coral heavy LPS only tanks, do water changes every 10 to 14 days… My consumption is high and I am so glad that I am finally getting on top of replenishing calcium, magnesium and trying to level out my pH!)

THANK YOU!

Ps i’ve never posted my tanks on R2R, so thanks for taking a look! The first three pictures are the 240, the last is the 65.

View attachment 2934276 View attachment 2934278 View attachment 2934279 View attachment 2934280
Slk and calcium for while I and many also add magnesium and aminos

Nutramar Foods

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, your tank looks awesome - so whatever you're doing is working! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

When I upgraded from a pair of IM Fusion 25 tanks to a new Red Sea 750XXL, I wanted to have it automated with regular testing for what were the most important parameters: temperature, salinity, pH, ORP, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. So I went with a Neptune system and added a DOS/Trident so I could have the testing from the Trident influence the DOS schedule (± based on where I set my target levels).

In terms of dosing, alkalinity is the most important, followed by calcium and magnesium. I also manually dose trace elements every week although this is something I'm looking to automate next year (maybe with a ReefDose4 as a Xmas present to myself). I like, use and endorse Nyos products. I use their powder for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium as well as their Active Elements, Strontium and Iodine.

OP
OP
Hillpag

Hillpag

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow this is truly helpful, and I’m so glad to hear about the strontium! I love the order of priority here, it helps me to know what to do first, and I do hope you treat yourself to that ReefDose4, you are working hard and the stakes are high now! Ty!!

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that you are doing water changes every 10-14 days. What percentage?

If you are in the range of 5+% a week, you most likely only need to dose for Alk and Ca. I wouldn't test for pH, although some people will disagree with that.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Hillpag

Hillpag

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see that you are doing water changes every 10-14 days. What percentage?

If you are in the range of 5+% a week, you most likely only need to dose for Alk and Ca. I wouldn't test for pH, although some people will disagree with that.
20 to 30% water change, my range is kind of crazy. I drop 150 Ml mag every day and about 50 calcium. alkalinity fairly consistent around 8.5 to 9, I’m doing all tests until I get a handle on things and figure out consumption average. Maybe three weeks of testing daily, dosing once a day to every other day. Usually splitting the dose by half.

OP
OP
Hillpag

Hillpag

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you doing ICP tests?
Tanks look great but to know what to does requires a good knowledge of what you are deficient?
Yes it’s been daily testing and hand dosing, it’s become a part-time job! I did order some ICP tests but haven’t sent them off yet. Looking for quick turnaround so I don’t sit on low mag and calcium, it drops so quickly! I was intimidated by the Mag and Calcium tests especially in the beginning but now I think I could do it in my sleep, it’s just become a constant… And once I got a handle on the Hanna system I felt much better. Haven’t had a cleared dining room table for quite some time now… It’s become more like a chemistry lab!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

PeterEde

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s been daily testing and hand dosing, it’s become a part-time job! I did order some ICP tests but haven’t sent them off yet. Looking for quick turnaround so I don’t sit on low mag and calcium, it drops so quickly! I was intimidated by the Mag and Calcium tests especially in the beginning but now I think I could do it in my sleep, it’s just become a constant… And once I got a handle on the Hanna system I felt much better. Haven’t had a cleared dining room table for quite some time now… It’s become more like a chemistry lab!
Do not manual dose would be my advice. A tank stability requires dosing through the day, not once or twice.

Jesse571

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

THANK YOU!

View attachment 2934276 View attachment 2934278 View attachment 2934279 View attachment 2934280
Beautiful tanks!

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tanks look great! I have six tanks and I hand dose them all mostly. I also use the Red Sea product line with both the part A-B/c and there trace elements. I am running AFR on my 40 cube, but not yet convinced. The problem with doing the RedSea line is you are basically running your tank on steroids of the upper limit. So when you are running other products, you have this nagging voice that says "Am I doing enough?" But with anything, Just monitor your depletion rate and go from there. Red Sea products relies on Calcium depletion for their calculations and it works for me. You have to take ICP test with a grain of salt. They may point out some obvious issues, but a lot of things are solved with water changes. The best judge is you, and observing your tank. Are your corals thriving? Is there new growth? If yes, things are on track. If no, then you need to figure out what you are lacking, and that can be anything from water quality, to lighting, to flow or a combo of more than one.

Top Shelf Aquatics

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 to 30% water change, my range is kind of crazy. I drop 150 Ml mag every day and about 50 calcium. alkalinity fairly consistent around 8.5 to 9, I’m doing all tests until I get a handle on things and figure out consumption average. Maybe three weeks of testing daily, dosing once a day to every other day. Usually splitting the dose by half.
If you're doing 20-30% water changes every 2 weeks, there won't be a need to dose anything but the big 3 (Alk, Ca, and maybe Mg). I could almost guarantee that you won't even need to dose Mg either. It's use will be in the range of 1 ppm or less per day (about 1/10th of what Ca usage is). I would track your alk consumption, then dose alk and Ca based on that, and leave the rest alone.

OP
OP
Hillpag

Hillpag

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do not manual dose would be my advice. A tank stability requires dosing through the day, not once or twice.
You know it’s a funny thing, I totally agree with you. I bought these Tridence and I am having a back-and-forth with my maintenance guy who feels that I should learn the ropes and get a feeling for consumption before I start up with the Tridents. He is distrustful of them but again, he’s old school! Hoping to have them up in a few months at the latest…

OP
OP
Hillpag

Hillpag

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're doing 20-30% water changes every 2 weeks, there won't be a need to dose anything but the big 3 (Alk, Ca, and maybe Mg). I could almost guarantee that you won't even need to dose Mg either. It's use will be in the range of 1 ppm or less per day (about 1/10th of what Ca usage is). I would track your alk consumption, then dose alk and Ca based on that, and leave the rest alone.
I have been told that alk is most critical, if I add the calcium will the magnesium fall in line? I’ve noticed that it has been very hard after dosing half of the suggested dose… are the other elements taking care of the mag?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Hillpag

Hillpag

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Her tanks say otherwise!
Thank you so much… it’s been a struggle and I lost some things early on, but now starting to see some growth. I really packed these tanks quickly and the addiction is pretty fierce!
AND that’s the best username I’ve ever seen on any site in my life. Appreciate your weighing in

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back