Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am in the process of getting everything I need to set up my first saltwater tank. I am mainly getting stuff secondhand.

I bought some marine rock secondhand, originally the guy selling had kept it wet straight from his tank, but it took a while to sell and by the time most of the water had either evaporated or he had poured it away. Much of the rock has gone green and dirty now so I was going to follow the BRStv video on bleach curing it.

In the bottom of the tub he kept it in there were still a few inches of water and one of the rocks was still covered and has some life still left on it (see ohoto)

should I still bleach this? Should I scrub or power wash it first?

I don’t know the seller so have no idea what condition the tank it originally came from was in.

Thanks for reading!

A9FEE1C4-B092-47FF-A662-E74FBC08A6B8.jpeg

AS

Deberber

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are it is fine, but not everyone is as careful as others. If not sure what the tub was used for before storing the rock could be a risk. Rock locks a bit dirty and has algae growth so I would probably at least give it a good powerwash before adding.

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert but in retrospect what I would now do with any rock from anywhere is put it in a tub with salt water and run it as if I was running a tank for a few weeks and test the water. I think my elevated phosphate was from used rock. If I had put it all in a tub and run it with a pump and heater and whatever, changed water a few times I may have been able to pull any absorbed phosphates out and whatever else. Some testing and it would give you at least some basis for how it will perform in a tank as you never know what was done to it in someone else's tank.

My 2c anyway, more anecdotal than scientific.

Nutramar Foods

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I always bleach second hand rocks, no idea what was in the tank before, what could have died in all those microscopic holes, etc....

I put them in a bucket with bleach water and a powerhead usually for a week, then rinse and put in rodi water for a few days with powerhead, then good to go.

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I always bleach second hand rocks, no idea what was in the tank before, what could have died in all those microscopic holes, etc....

I put them in a bucket with bleach water and a powerhead usually for a week, then rinse and put in rodi water for a few days with powerhead, then good to go.

For my own education, does bleach remove phosphates and other things absorbed into the rocks?

Top Shelf Aquatics

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching it is the last thing that I would do. You will just create a sterile surface for dinos, hair algae and all other nasty things to attach. Right now it has surface bacteria mat, some good algae and other microfauna that have colonized and won't allow other stuff so easily.

Just put it in a tub with saltwater, some flow and a heater. Let it sit until you are ready. If there is hairy/nasty stuff on the surface then scrub it off first.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d research Zoas and used rocks when history of those rocks unknown although live rock of the 80s and 90s might have had wild Zoas and seems contradictory in that respect.

Excluding potential concerns with Zoas. I’d just stick it in the tank and use that as source to cycle it. Might still have beneficial bacteria on and in its crevices. Anything decaying will provide the needed ammonia. Can always add addition bacteria in the bottle and doing so from various sources might add diversified bio fauna.

Obviously prior to adding other life and perhaps let sit for 72 plus days should unwanted come attached. Patience is key to longterm success in my opinion. Instant this and that often followed by instant failure.

ICP test at some point to identify if any copper noticeable although could just run some CupriSorb and observe if it changes color. Problem with used anything being an unknown history therefore best be overly cautious or skip used and go straight to never before used base or buy ocean direct from Tampa. Latter will have good bio fauna but might bring attached that not wanted and might still best be served with 72 days of just watching rocks

World Wide Corals

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It always amazed me that people are so worried about used rock, yet have no idea the source or what has happened to their mined rock, or even where the LR at the LFS has been. :)

I take live rock whenever I can get it. It sits in tubs months where I remove the phosphate. It is beautiful and ready to pull its weight.

If it is loaded with phosphates, then get some SeaKlear Lanthanum Chloride and a few filter socks and treat it in the tub. Super easy and effective.

Keep it wet, keep it dark and keep it warm. It will treat you better than if you kill it.

thatone08

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d research Zoas and used rocks when history of those rocks unknown although live rock of the 80s and 90s might have had wild Zoas and seems contradictory in that respect.

Excluding potential concerns with Zoas. I’d just stick it in the tank and use that as source to cycle it. Might still have beneficial bacteria on and in its crevices. Anything decaying will provide the needed ammonia. Can always add addition bacteria in the bottle and doing so from various sources might add diversified bio fauna.

Obviously prior to adding other life and perhaps let sit for 72 plus days should unwanted come attached. Patience is key to longterm success in my opinion. Instant this and that often followed by instant failure.

ICP test at some point to identify if any copper noticeable although could just run some CupriSorb and observe if it changes color. Problem with used anything being an unknown history therefore best be overly cautious or skip used and go straight to never before used base or buy ocean direct from Tampa. Latter will have good bio fauna but might bring attached that not wanted and might still best be served with 72 days of just watching rocks
Yes. Zoas. Looking at the picture it’s hard to tell if those are remnants of zoas or possibly bubble algae. I wouldn’t recommend power washing. If you see anything or know there were zoas at one point. Bleach would be ok though.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back