Adding Zoas

ChrisWhit483

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater tanks. Got a 32 gal biocube and some live sand and rocks to start. Cycled with Fritz-Zyme turbo start. Monitored for 1 week then added 2 clownfish and a firefish. All went well so I added a neon dottyback, chalk bass, and 6 line wrasse. All fish getting along, eating well, and cycle stayed stable for the past 2 weeks. As you can already tell I am not very patient. I have a UV sterilizer light, Inkbird thermometer controller (have it set at 76-78), and Nero 3 wavemaker. I want to go ahead and add a zoa. I get different advice from my LFS and from my own reading and research. Some says you should wait several months before adding coral, others say you can add coral immediatly and it can actually help stabilize tank and/or keep tank stable. Will my fish be safe if I go ahead and add 2 zoas? Is there anything specific I need to do to the zoas or to my water in order to safely add the zoas?

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on tank both are true. You can have hardy corals right away but its all about not going to fast. If you add the frags see how they do in the tank for a minimum of two weeks and see if your tanks ready to add more. There is a chance its not and you will lose frags but its a risk we take.

Three things to note getting a coral dip and dipping all corals is highly recommended. Coral rx revive or reef primer etc.. Also know that those corals spread fast so island or separate rock is recommended so they don't take over. Also wash hands and avoid getting anything in eyes mouth or cuts with zoas.

OP
OP
C

ChrisWhit483

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on tank both are true. You can have hardy corals right away but its all about not going to fast. If you add the frags see how they do in the tank for a minimum of two weeks and see if your tanks ready to add more. There is a chance its not and you will lose frags but its a risk we take.

Three things to note getting a coral dip and dipping all corals is highly recommended. Coral rx revive or reef primer etc.. Also know that those corals spread fast so island or separate rock is recommended so they don't take over. Also wash hands and avoid getting anything in eyes mouth or cuts with zoas.
Thank you very much! I am willing to risk a few frags, I was thinking of putting 2 Rastas on 2 seperate rocks that are separate from my main rock structure so that they would not overtake it. From my reading it appears the rostas are suitable for lower levels of the tank. And I assume I can buy coral dip and either the coral rx revive or reef primer at my LFS.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and saltwater!
as mentioned above, depends. There are some zoas that are harder to keep than others too, so i would target some of the smaller button ones, like twizzlers and not the bigger/expensive ones. they are expensive because they grow slow and are harder to keep. :) but yeah, try one and go slow, only thing other than that would be lighting, make sure they have enough to thrive.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much! I am willing to risk a few frags, I was thinking of putting 2 Rastas on 2 seperate rocks that are separate from my main rock structure so that they would not overtake it. From my reading it appears the rostas are suitable for lower levels of the tank. And I assume I can buy coral dip and either the coral rx revive or reef primer at my LFS.
rastas should be pretty hardy. give it a go!

OP
OP
C

ChrisWhit483

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and saltwater!
as mentioned above, depends. There are some zoas that are harder to keep than others too, so i would target some of the smaller button ones, like twizzlers and not the bigger/expensive ones. they are expensive because they grow slow and are harder to keep. :) but yeah, try one and go slow, only thing other than that would be lighting, make sure they have enough to thrive.
Do you think the stock lights on the Coralife 32 gal biocube are enough to start for the Rastas?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back