Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to add a sump to my Fluval flex. Currently it's running with:

Sicce syncra silent 1.5
Fluval ps1 skimmer
2 intank media baskets
Tunze nano ato

Nothing too special about it, I run sponges or filter floss in the top of the baskets followed by carbon, gfo, and the biomedia that came with it.

The issue is that I've overstocked my tank and I'd like to add a much better protein skimmer as well as some water volume. I'd prefer to test this out before removing fish as I think the improved filtration will help. The current skimmer is not all that good and barely captures anything. Attempting to tune it makes the skim incredibly wet and just feels like it's just catching water.

I also tend to run into some odd water level issues in the aio section of the tank. Just yesterday I tossed out some filter floss and replaced it, for some reason this caused the water level in the back to rise over the ato sensor when it was set perfectly before. I feel adding an overflow box woth help to alleviate any issues with the water level.

The plan-

What I'm looking at is:

Fiji 12 sump
Eshopps pf300 overflow
Curve 3 extreme skimmer

So after much research and lots of measurements, I've decided on the Fiji 12 for my sump. It's incredibly small but I have very little room under my stand, the fiji 12 measures almost perfect for what I'm needing. I'll have to remove the shelf out of the stand but it does not look to add structural support to it.

The pf300 is just small enough to fit in the aio section of the tank, I chose this over the cpr version as I read some problems with flooding on those.

The curve 3 is also the perfect size for what I need. I went between the curve 3 and curve 5 elite for a long time but the extra height the 5 has just won't work as nicely in the space I have.

I have considered a refugium instead of the skimmer but I came to choose the skimmer first. I would rather find another way to add a refugium or algae scrubber to the system after if I still need it

I plan on soft plumbing everything, my biggest concern being attaching it to the output nozzles again. I'm just waiting for the end of the year to be able to afford all the equipment and then I can install it.

Mostly just putting this out there for my own archival purposes but if anyone has any input or advice I'd love to hear it!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your water level issues are likely due to flow changes as the filter floss/mechanical media gets clogged. This is an issue with many all in one tanks. The issue is likely exacerbated by the intank media baskets. While they are great for directing flow and ultimately ensure that your different types of media are getting uniform flow, they narrow the passage of water as compared to the, all be them flawed, stock media sponges. Don’t get me wrong, I use in tank media baskets on my Fluval 32.5 and plan to continue using them.

I have mitigated some of the water level variance in my 32.5 because my Left chamber has been converted into a refugium and does not have any mechanical filtration. While I am sure their are some downsides to this method, it ensures my return chamber water level is rather consistent even when my mechanical filtration (on the right side) starts to clog.

Other options are to use coarser media or change/clean the current media more frequently.

As far as installing a sump, what is your plan for the overflow? That is the biggest issue I see. I have never drilled a 32.5, but I have drilled a 13.5, so I assume it is possible. That said you don’t have a lot of room to work with on either side of the all in one chambers. You can use a hang on back overflow, but again will need to make sure it fits.

All that being said, what is your current stocking and what are your nutrient levels like?

OP
OP
J

Jicklenop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to put that money towards a larger tank but unfortunately this is the biggest I'm allowed at my apartment. I will be upgrading when I'm able to move and afford a bigger tank though.

For overflow, Im looking at the Eshopps HOB overflow box, the measurements fit nearly exactly into the AIO section. I would like to drill it at some point instead, though I'd rather wait until I need to break it down to move before doing that. At that point, I'd consider taking off the baffles completely and let it be more open with the overflow on the back.

All that being said, what is your current stocking and what are your nutrient levels like?

As for stocking:

Pair of clowns
Yellow watchman goby+candy cane pistol shrimp
Firefish
Purple firefish
Tailspot blenny
Sixline wrasse
Royal gramma
Orange spotted goby
Cleaner shrimp
Peppermint shrimp

I also have a handful of hermits, cerith snails, astrea snails, and my trochus snails have been multiplying a lot.

I feed one cube of frozen mysis a day.

Parameters right now are quite high but that is due to a flux treatment I'm doing right now. My most recent tests were:

Nitrates 15.6
Phosphate 0.31

Normally my nitrates sit between 7 and 10, and my Phosphates between 0.02 and 0.05. Before I dosed flux, I had reduced the photo period of my tank by about an hour and a half and nitrates started to spike. I assume it's because the algae wasn't able to consume as much nitrate and so left more in the water. I'm waiting a little longer before I do another water change to let the flux finish it's job and then will try to bring parameters back into check with a series of changes.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly your nutrients aren’t that bad, and adding a sump seems like a really complicated way of addressing them. Personally I would think about: removing a few fish, changing your media more often, or adding a refugium (chaeto reactor or algae scrubber may also be easily implemented solitons).

I won’t say that my way is the best, but given your concerns of high nutrients and a fluctuating water level in the return chamber, converting one side of your AIO to a refugium may be a good solution. . . And would cost about $50 (probably less)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back