Adding RODI having green algae out break within a day.

BRS

Vimby210

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK RODI GUYS! It was a hard press to get me to install a RODI unit, as in the past, i ran a successful tank on just city water. I started the tank with City water, and after a little thought, moved to distilled. I added my RODI water a few days ago, and within a day, had a huge green algae bloom. light covering like the brown diatoms i experienced a week after my cycle was complete. here are my parameters last Sunday.

temp 77.7
PH 8.1
calcium 360, a touch low, i know, water change this weekend.
KH 107.4 or 6dkh
phosphate .25ppm
nitrate 5.0ppm
salinity 1.023

Maybe just another cycle? no new critters added in the last month. Any input or ideas would be great. Thanks

Avast

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK RODI GUYS! It was a hard press to get me to install a RODI unit, as in the past, i ran a successful tank on just city water. I started the tank with City water, and after a little thought, moved to distilled. I added my RODI water a few days ago, and within a day, had a huge green algae bloom. light covering like the brown diatoms i experienced a week after my cycle was complete. here are my parameters last Sunday.

temp 77.7
PH 8.1
calcium 360, a touch low, i know, water change this weekend.
KH 107.4 or 6dkh
phosphate .25ppm
nitrate 5.0ppm
salinity 1.023

Maybe just another cycle? no new critters added in the last month. Any input or ideas would be great. Thanks
What are your TDS readings going in and coming out of your RO/DI filter?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Before RO membrane 424, Before DI resin 44, After DI resin 0. I should have added that, I knew someone would ask.
Are those numbers recent? When was the last time you checked / changed your resin? 424 is fairly high going in your resin may be getting exhausted rather quickly.

Additional considerations could be nutrients. IMO .25 PO4 is on the high side. What test kits are you using? Your nutrient levels are likely artificially low due to the algae taking them up. What are you feeding? How often? What other nutrient export modalities do you employ?

Also, can you post pics under whites so that we can get an idea of the situation / what is growing, please?

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more info on the tank. 75 gallon, Emperor 450 running carbon filter changed every 3-4 weeks, water polish filter added one day a month. Icecap protein skimmer, Icecap algea scrubber, both sized for tank. Two power heads for circulation.

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those numbers recent? When was the last time you checked / changed your resin? 424 is fairly high going in your resin may be getting exhausted rather quickly?

Additional considerations could be nutrients. IMO .25 PO4 is on the high side. What test kits are you using? Your nutrient levels are likely artificially low due to the algae taking them up. What are you feeding? How often? What other nutrient export modalities do you employ?
Brand new RODI system only running for a few weeks, Readings were taken right before i responded. Before RO is 424, before DI resin is 44. So entry into DI is only 44tds. I responded just prior with my tank info. Ill get a pic posted soon.

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230303_053929.jpg
20230303_053904.jpg

Are those numbers recent? When was the last time you checked / changed your resin? 424 is fairly high going in your resin may be getting exhausted rather quickly.

Also, can you post pics under whites so that we can get an idea of the situation / what is growing, please?
I use API, yes, i know alot dislike them, but i have used them in the past successfully, when directions are followed to a t, then they are as accurate as needed imo. I have watched nitrates and phosphates rise then seen drops from nitrates and Phosphates since addition of algea scrubber. So im comfortable with the results of the tests. 20230303_053853.jpg 20230303_053849.jpg

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant edit, so my phosphates had spiked to .5 and within several weeks after addition of algae scrubber, have dropped to .25. Feeding only 3 fish once or twice a day, depending on how sorry my fiance feels for the starving fish in the tank. LOL.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that RO/DI at 0 ppm TDS is a cause of the algae issue, even if it did coincide in time to the change.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not relevant to the question but your RO membrane dropping 424 TDS down to 44 TDS doesn't seem like a great rejection rate -- <90%
*seems like most do better than that

I'm somewhere around 440-450 TDS source water with around 8 TDS after RO.
*of course, probably depends on the make up of what's in the source water

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 3046896View attachment 3046897

I use API, yes, i know alot dislike them, but i have used them in the past successfully, when directions are followed to a t, then they are as accurate as needed imo. I have watched nitrates and phosphates rise then seen drops from nitrates and Phosphates since addition of algea scrubber. So im comfortable with the results of the tests. View attachment 3046898 View attachment 3046899
So, this appears to be a relatively young tank. At least that rock is new. The issue here is simply "the uglies". This is normal algal growth consistent with a new aquarium. You will likely soon have a diatom bloom and may also get cyanobacteria before your rock begins to color up with the "good stuff". Keep to a regular WC schedule, maintain your other nutrient export modalities, and in general, practice good husbandry. This will resolve on its own in due course. Happy reefing!

Namaste.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back