Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into adding some shrimp to my tank with a Flame Hawk and a Six-Line Wrasse. Was wondering if any one has had any issues with Hawks or Wrasses with some shrimp. I already have some snails in the tank and just want to add more to my cleaning crew. Any advice would help :)

AS
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah shrimp usually doesnt work with those 2. Here's my flame hawk hunting ghost shrimp with my waspfish.

View attachment 2984224
I hear ya, The shrimp that I am looking at I guess or more ornamental and larger. I guess the same goes or it a 50/50?

AquaCave Logo Banner

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good, I have only had my Flamehawk for less than a month and I got him fairly grown aswell. As for the shrimp, the Lysmata debelius shrimp is what I'm currently looking at right now.
Lysmata debelius is beautiful, but you will rarely see her as it is mostly nocturnal. I have a big cave where it hides and I see her sometimes during the day.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not worth it. Maybe test with a peppermint shrimp if you want to get an expensive snack for your hawk, but I've seen too many vids of people lose expensive cleaner shrimp.
and thats what I fear, guess I'm gonna have to start another tank and add the shrimps :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lysmata debelius is beautiful, but you will rarely see her as it is mostly nocturnal. I have a big cave where it hides and I see her sometimes during the day.
Oh thats good to know, I have really been liking the bright red species of shrimps and fish which is why I'm looking lol

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah shrimp usually doesnt work with those 2. Here's my flame hawk hunting ghost shrimp with my waspfish.

View attachment 2984224
lion king speaks truth. You can try it, but I doubt you'll like the results. Had a long nose hawk co exist with shrimp in a few different tanks just snap and chomped a cleaner shrimp in 2. The Falco hawk I have will stalk them for hours and lie in wait for the shrimp. I have given them a expensive lunch after dropping in a 1/2 dozen peppermint shrimp for aiptasia eradication, those shrimp didn't last the night.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lion king speaks truth. You can try it, but I doubt you'll like the results. Had a long nose hawk co exist with shrimp in a few different tanks just snap and chomped a cleaner shrimp in 2. The Falco hawk I have will stalk them for hours and lie in wait for the shrimp. I have given them a expensive lunch after dropping in a 1/2 dozen peppermint shrimp for aiptasia eradication, those shrimp didn't last the night.
Welp I now know my answer, definitely don't want to risk losing shrimp because of my Hawk. Thanks for the advice!

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp I now know my answer, definitely don't want to risk losing shrimp because of my Hawk. Thanks for the advice!

It's always risk vs reward no matter what you do. I know the shrimp you are planning are quite a bit larger than the ones I used in my example. Flame hawks and sixlines are aggressive by nature, sixlines can be just as deadly to shrimp. It definitely ends badly at a very high percentage.

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always risk vs reward no matter what you do. I know the shrimp you are planning are quite a bit larger than the ones I used in my example. Flame hawks and sixlines are aggressive by nature, sixlines can be just as deadly to shrimp. It definitely ends badly at a very high percentage.
You're right, and I don't see it being worth it with what yall have given me.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Wamland

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 line in with a cleaner and a pistol. They both know to stay clear and I’m kind of sad to have added him because they don’t move around much. we will see how long everyone lasts. They bath have good hiding spots.
However I Love watching that 6 line tool around the tank like a shark. He literally sails through everywhere. My watchmen goby keeps the pistol on his toes and they have built a nice cave under a hefty bit of zinas.

B045A7F5-C037-499B-A737-928E907E270C.jpeg

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 line in with a cleaner and a pistol. They both know to stay clear and I’m kind of sad to have added him because they don’t move around much. we will see how long everyone lasts. They bath have good hiding spots.
However I Love watching that 6 line tool around the tank like a shark. He literally sails through everywhere. My watchmen goby keeps the pistol on his toes and they have built a nice cave under a hefty bit of zinas.

View attachment 2984292
I have a starry blenny who hides all the time, comes out when no one is around and destroys the algae, as soon as some one walks by he darts under my largest rock. He's a hefty guy to. I love the goby though. Look like he isn't shy around the camera!

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Copepods
Back