Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, setting up my very first reef tank. My first post. I'm learning as I go. What you're looking at here is a 24 gallon AOI from Reef Casa, with dry rock and live sand (ATO installed). Used RODI water and salinity is at 1.025. The plan is to add about 6 nano suitable fish, clean-up crew, soft corals and perhaps LPS. I started the nitrogen cycle exactly 4 weeks ago by adding live bacteria and ammonium chloride. Ammonia and Nitrite levels are currently at 0. Nitrate using the Salifert test is approximately 25 mg/l. I assume this means the cycle is complete but I should do a water change to bring down the Nitrate levels before adding fish, ya? Looking to start with 2 Clownfish as soon as I feel the environment is safe. A week after that start the clean-up crew. I welcome any advice. Thank you.

1st reef tank.png

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
S

Sunken

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the cycle is complete and I personally wouldn’t push more than 4-5 fish in that sized tank!
Yes the cycle is complete and I personally wouldn’t push more than 4-5 fish in that sized t
With my nitrate sitting at 25 PPM do you think I'm okay to add 2 clowns? The internet is so full of conflicting advice, it's frustrating. Many say Clowns are hardy and can easily handle nitrate levels in that range or do you recommend I do a water change before adding them with the goal of bringing levels down to 5-10 PPM? Any idea what % change would be needed to get down to those levels? Or am I good just to add them as is and start doing 10% water change a week after? Thanks!

OP
OP
S

Sunken

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my nitrate sitting at 25 PPM do you think I'm okay to add 2 clowns? The internet is so full of conflicting advice, it's frustrating. Many say Clowns are hardy and can easily handle nitrate levels in that range or do you recommend I do a water change before adding them with the goal of bringing levels down to 5-10 PPM? Any idea what % change would be needed to get down to those levels? Or am I good just to add them as is and start doing 10% water change a week after? Thanks!
or is a smarter move to start with a small clean-up crew like a Hermit crab or Shrimp before adding Clowns?

Top Shelf Aquatics

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes clowns are hardy and yes you can add it! I have a very high nutrient tank. Fish are not as sensitive to nutrients it’s corals and other sensitive inverts that are.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

JBJAquarium.com
Back