+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R folks,

I have a female blue star leopard in my system and she's been in the system for several months now. I'm wondering if adding a male would be an issue, theres not much information out there and before I introduce a male wanted to get some input from the reefing community.

cheers,

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R folks,

I have a female blue star leopard in my system and she's been in the system for several months now. I'm wondering if adding a male would be an issue, theres not much information out there and before I introduce a male wanted to get some input from the reefing community.

cheers,
Adding a male may go wrong (Possibly due to different but similar species or possibly because your current one is transitioning), if you can get a photo of your leopard then that is much more helpful.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
T

tee89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a male may go wrong (Possibly due to different but similar species or possibly because your current one is transitioning), if you can get a photo of your leopard then that is much more helpful.
Posted a video clip hope it's working. Can't really get a clear picture.

Nutramar Foods

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can give it a shot, but in all honesty it's 50/50 on it working out. I recommend using an acclimation box if you decide to try.

OP
OP
T

tee89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can give it a shot, but in all honesty it's 50/50 on it working out. I recommend using an acclimation box if you decide to try.
Appreciate your feedback. So by 50/50 you mean the aggression levels would be high? I do have a large acclimation box but honestly 50/50 are not the best odds, I rather not introduce the male, hate to see fish go at each other due to aggression.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate your feedback. So by 50/50 you mean the aggression levels would be high? I do have a large acclimation box but honestly 50/50 are not the best odds, I rather not introduce the male, hate to see fish go at each other due to aggression.
The other issue is, the male may not be a true bipartitus and may be the Indian Ocean half of Bipartitus - M. marisrubri. Macropharyngodon marisrubri is much more aggressive than bipartitus is and the male may cause an issue with the female.
Here’s a male bipartitus (top) and a male marisrurbi (female)
A6CD4E35-ACB8-42C7-A636-5320655078AA.jpeg

9AF567F5-7037-421E-BBEB-124860EF94CA.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since she's been established in the tank for a while she may not accept him, especially if she's beginning to transition and we just can't see it yet. I've seen female blue stars transition to male right after the addition of a male was added to the tank. It's better to add more females to an established female and let one transition to male than to try to add a male.

OP
OP
T

tee89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since she's been established in the tank for a while she may not accept him, especially if she's beginning to transition and we just can't see it yet. I've seen female blue stars transition to male right after the addition of a male was added to the tank. It's better to add more females to an established female and let one transition to male than to try to add a male.
Thank you, this is helpful, I might go down the path of adding more female blue stars.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, this is helpful, I might go down the path of adding more female blue stars.
I think this is the best route as Atleast then you’re likely to have a harem/pair that accept each other.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi R2R folks,

cheers,
If youre going to try this, start with acclimation box and see how female responds to its presence. Often, may not go well

OP
OP
T

tee89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If youre going to try this, start with acclimation box and see how female responds to its presence. Often, may not go well
thank you vetteguy, I do have a large acclimation box, but after hearing everyones feedback i'm hesitant to try.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back