Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what i have noticed whenever i place a small bag of activated carbon in my 100 gallon some zoas ( not all) and some other corals seem to close up a bit. The reason i place the carbon in the first place is to clear up the yellow pinkments in the water. I have read that activated carbon removes micro elements from the water column tha might effect the corals negatively, however what i ve been thinking lately is that the sudden water clarity of the water from yellowish to transparent might increase light penetration. Corals might get a sudden increase of par in a matter of hours causing them to close up and in a way stressing them. What are your thoughts on this. I also noticed that some zoas get effected and some dont.

AquaCave Logo Banner

CoralB

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you thing the reason they close up is the sudden increase in light penetration
Not knowing your parameters I can only say that light change in intensity can have that effect especially if it’s sudden and not gradually . Anything you do in this hobby should be slow and gradual.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's certainly a plausible mechanism for why they close up. Zoas thrive in dissolved organics. Agree it's hard to say without knowing your parameters. There's a correlation here possibly, but it's tough to assign causation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it is a well known and plausible reason, and it’s a reason to change it more frequently or just change part of it each time. Helps avoid uv and blue spikes.

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it is a well known and plausible reason, and it’s a reason to change it more frequently or just change part of it each time. Helps avoid uv and blue spikes.
Thank you Randy for your reply. I will try and make the change more gradual and not just add carbon when ever i see yellowush water

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back