Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby about 3 months. I've added a couple lps coral and acclimated them for about 10 days to the lights. I plan on doing a mixed tank but mostly lps dominant. I would like to pickup a couple more coral soon. Question is do I need to switch back to acclimation mode for every time I add a coral?

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation mode in lights are usually used when you switch from one fixture to another, especially when they are from a different kind or intensity.
That being said, if you get large amount of new corals all at once, it can defiantly be used, just as a rule of thumb you don't want to change the light settings too often.

What I personally do to acclimate new corals, is to first determine their light requirements.
If they require high PAR, than I'll place them on the sand bed and slowly elevate them to the appropriate height.
If they are low PAR corals, I would place them in a slightly shaded area and slowly move them to the light.
Both take several weeks to a month, sometimes even more.

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduction of every new coral may need acclimation mode, but that depends under what PAR they were kept and if they were shipped or did you pick them up from LFS. I did bleach some corals which are usually grown under higher intensity lights, because I assumend wrongly that vendor was doing that. If in doubt acclimate as once damage is done, they not always recover.

Top Shelf Aquatics

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep new corals on a rack starting low and moving up for a couple of weeks until close to same light level where I want to mount them.

Don't like to use my lights for acclimation unless I'm purposely increasing light for the entire tank for some reason.

OP
OP
South Carolina reef

South Carolina reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduction of every new coral may need acclimation mode, but that depends under what PAR they were kept and if they were shipped or did you pick them up from LFS. I did bleach some corals which are usually grown under higher intensity lights, because I assumend wrongly that vendor was doing that. If in doubt acclimate as once damage is done, they not always recover.
Good point. I get mine from my LFS

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When introducing a new coral, best way is to use a frag rack and start acclimating the coral from the bottom and move it up every couple days, until you get to the hight of it’s permanent position. You should not change the light settings and affect all corals for the benefit of just one coral.

CLICK TO VIEW

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Vivid
Back