Acans on the back wall

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with several acans from a frag sale and I was wondering if it'll be alright to glue them to the back wall? I dont know if acans grow or encrusts around the wall like a GSP or an encrusting polyp would. Any guidance is appreciated!

Thanks!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
as LPS, they tend to like low/med flow and light. i don't have any persnal experience with them, though.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it would work. I would imagine they would glue fine and grow. Depending on light and flow. It would definitely look cool!!

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know, but a good place to start might be to see if anyone with glass bottoms has ever gotten acans to grow onto the glass or not. Enough people keep bare bottom tanks, own acans, and have them sitting on the bottom. Its bound to have happened if its likely to happen.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Acans don't necessarily encrust but tend to grow more skeleton and branch. As mentioned,they tend to prefer lower light.

Cyphastrea and Leptos both readily grow on glass. I've had Red Brick and Meteor Shower Cyphastrea grow on my glass and I've had Mint Leptos grow on my glass.

Also, Montipora will grow on glass. I've had both Bubblegum and Red Digitata grow on my glass. My Montipora Caps have grown on glass and am working on a Superman Monti encruster and Rainbow Monti encruster.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t know if acans would do it but they might. I have 2 lepto I glued to my overflow and they are encrusting and sticking
88B89B54-A058-450C-B5B9-B23AE6FF1F86.jpeg

OP
OP
bubbgee

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans don't necessarily encrust but tend to grow more skeleton and branch. As mentioned,they tend to prefer lower light.

Cyphastrea and Leptos both readily grow on glass. I've had Red Brick and Meteor Shower Cyphastrea grow on my glass and I've had Mint Leptos grow on my glass.

Also, Montipora will grow on glass. I've had both Bubblegum and Red Digitata grow on my glass. My Montipora Caps have grown on glass and am working on a Superman Monti encruster and Rainbow Monti encruster.
Thanks. I'll try that instead.

OP
OP
bubbgee

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a plan of using frag plates and glued them together and then gluing it to the back wall and glue encrusting and acans on the plates. But it was unstable and split in several pieces.

Right now, I am just using different mushroom frags glued to the back wall instead. Mushrooms are lighter so they are not going to keep dropping off the wall and then they seem to enjoy the light there so I might just buy different mushrooms and stick those to the back wall instead.

OP
OP
bubbgee

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lepto is working well for me!

Right on my overflow, glows nice under blues and is super bright
3B9DBAF6-D6DA-454C-B8F0-73264A702420.jpeg
9A81F92B-08F5-44C7-B577-7A26A9562666.jpeg
2E339576-0FE8-4737-B6CE-41FDACC045FB.jpeg
That's nice.

It didn't work for me. For whatever reason the reef plug and any amount of gorilla glue gel wouldn't stick. It ended up falling and flipping to the sand and my lepto mostly died. I am hoping whatever is left can still start encrusting what died.

OP
OP
bubbgee

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, it stuck for a few days then flopped. So far, only mushrooms seems to stick. I have been lucky to finally get a gsp stick because it had a reef plug. Anything heavy seems to fall off.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A little trick I use that seems to work more often than not:

Apply glue, let it "cure" for 30 seconds to a minute, squish it onto the surface im glueing it to, twist it back and forth a little, and then hold it steady for 15-20 seconds.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You have to remember, glass is fairly smooth so there's not much for the glue to "grab" in the way of pores. Heavy objects are going to be harder to attach to anything just in general, but to smooth glass there's a high probability of failure.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sure if it would work. I would imagine they would glue fine and grow. Depending on light and flow. It would definitely look cool!!
was thinking similar……not sure I would call it “encrusting” however…IMO acans sorta just “overgrow” whatever they are on …

also thinking similar…I have a couple gold and green lepton’s and I like that gold psammy also …IME cyphrastrea will give you the fastest results I think
I don’t know if acans would do it but they might. I have 2 lepto I glued to my overflow and they are encrusting and sticking
88B89B54-A058-450C-B5B9-B23AE6FF1F86.jpeg
every time you post your tank pics I have to adjust my color gain …. please no more photoshopping LOL

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
was thinking similar……not sure I would call it “encrusting” however…IMO acans sorta just “overgrow” whatever they are on …

also thinking similar…I have a couple gold and green lepton’s and I like that gold psammy also …IME cyphrastrea will give you the fastest results I think

every time you post your tank pics I have to adjust my color gain …. please no more photoshopping LOL
I don’t photoshop or edit. This is how it looks

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back