Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up guys, so I had a bad algae bloom in the past that killed off a lot of coral, tank had been good. Just a lot of the red cyanobacteria on the sand and rock work that I have to blow off every couple of days . Par near the Acans is about 85-90. My Acans and GSP have not been open in a couple of weeks, they still have the color but no signs of gsp or blossoming Acans… I know some of my parameters are skewed but basically I’m asking which ones need to be fixed. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Parameters :
Nitrate - 1.5ppm
Phosphate - .13ppm
Alkalinity - 15.4 dKH
Magnesium - 1315ppm
Calcium - 482ppm
pH - 7.08

IMG_0987.jpeg

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up guys, so I had a bad algae bloom in the past that killed off a lot of coral, tank had been good. Just a lot of the red cyanobacteria on the sand and rock work that I have to blow off every couple of days . Par near the Acans is about 85-90. My Acans and GSP have not been open in a couple of weeks, they still have the color but no signs of gsp or blossoming Acans… I know some of my parameters are skewed but basically I’m asking which ones need to be fixed. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Parameters :
Nitrate - 1.5ppm
Phosphate - .13ppm
Alkalinity - 15.4 dKH
Magnesium - 1315ppm
Calcium - 482ppm
pH - 7.08

IMG_0987.jpeg
Salinity is 1.025 and temp is 78

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Alkalinity is extremely high. Could it be test error? Alkalinity should be maintained between 7-10 for anyone who is not an expert.

Your nitrates are also on the low side.

Your pH is very low. pH should be between 7.8-8.3.

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is extremely high. Could it be test error? Alkalinity should be maintained between 7-10 for anyone who is not an expert.

Your nitrates are also on the low side.

Your pH is very low. pH should be between 7.8-8.3.
Not a testing error just did it again, on the Hanna checker..nitrates I could dose and ph I could dose with marine grade sodium bicarbonate but how do I lower alk?

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not a testing error just did it again, on the Hanna checker..nitrates I could dose and ph I could dose with marine grade sodium bicarbonate but how do I lower alk
Please don’t try to raise pH with sodium bicarbonate. Your alkalinity will also go up making the problem worse.

In my opinion you need a very large water change. What does your salt mix typically mix to?

I would do a 50% water change with a low alkalinity salt mix. It would probably get you to around 10 dkh or so and also stabilize pH and then you can dose nitrate.

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t try to raise pH with sodium bicarbonate. Your alkalinity will also go up making the problem worse.

In my opinion you need a very large water change. What does your salt mix typically mix to?

I would do a 50% water change with a low alkalinity salt mix. It would probably get you to around 10 dkh or so and also stabilize pH and then you can dose nitrate.
Ahh okk that would make a lot of sense

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the flow in the tank? Cyano loves low flow area's.
Flow is pretty good, it’s a 29gal long with a gyre 2k on the right side, I have it on random with a max ramp up of 70% ..I was thinking about putting a another angled powerhead on the other side to hit the inside of the rock work on the right

Attachments

• IMG_0988.jpeg
    IMG_0988.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 28

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back