Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys had a curious question that was having an issue finding an answer. I see all these awesome Acan colonies that grow out like a zoa garden. How do people get them to grow that way instead of in a ball? I have one that is looking like it will want to go in a ball shape but would like it to grow long ways. Is this just a let it grow and it will eventually grow along the rock type thing? I have a frag of some micros and the heads are growing around the disk but it was already flat when I got it. Thanks guys!

Mtk1988

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-1
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-1
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Acans will grow in a pattern that is based on what is under and around the colony in otherwords if it is flat on say a bare bottom tank they will produce heads around the leading eof the colony all the way around it and continue to grow outward but if it is up ontop of something then it will grown in more of a ball shape

OP
OP
Icedphoenix

Icedphoenix

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans will grow in a pattern that is based on what is under and around the colony in otherwords if it is flat on say a bare bottom tank they will produce heads around the leading eof the colony all the way around it and continue to grow outward but if it is up ontop of something then it will grown in more of a ball shape
So the one that looks like it might be trying to grow in a ball will flatten out? It is a frag that was larger heads so the new heads are on the side of the skeleton. Just wasn't sure if I needed to do anything to get them to grow out or if they will do it on their own once they hit the flat tile they are sitting on. Thanks

Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
TCK Corals
Back