ABS plastic sheet from Amazon reef safe?

BRS

Novicereefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I have a bare bottom and wanted to make it black and protect the tank from rocks and whatnot. I recently heard about ABS plastic sheets (late to the party I know). I found the material on BRS, but it's discontinued. I found multiple YouTube videos swearing by it for bare bottom tanks. I found it on Amazon (link below. Not sure if it'll work). The problem is, it says nothing about aquarium or saltwater. It's just plain ABS plastic sheets. Does anyone have any experience with this knowing if this is reef safe or not? I don't see anything for or against it

Limited-time deal: Zuvas Black ABS Plastic Sheet 12" x 16" x 0.06" 6 Pack, Flexible Than Plexiglass Sheet, Moldable Than Acrylic Sheet, DIY Materials for Home Decor, Handcrafts (Matte & Textured Finish) https://a.co/d/6EBHxCe

2407AC0D-670E-4950-A517-0456576D475D.png

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

seant2h

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to McMaster-Carr and search for starboard you will find the reef safe hdpe sheets. I’m in the process of setting up a new tank that will have 3/16 black on the bottom. Hope this helps.

AquaCave Logo Banner

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume that if you cleaned it, yes. I have one eighth textured abs sheet on my bare bottom. I ordered mine online I think from us plastics. I wanted a single piece for a six foot long tank. I did place a bead of aquarium safe silicone around the bottom edge to hold and seal it so the nasties do grow under it. I did not want bare glass on the bottom, and I have a lot of encrusting montis and stuff that heaven forbid I ever have to break the tank down I won’t need a jackhammer. Some people use starboard as it’s smooth and available in different colors, like a sand color.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to McMaster-Carr and search for starboard you will find the reef safe hdpe sheets. I’m in the process of setting up a new tank that will have 3/16 black on the bottom. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why exactly do you want this on the bottom of your tank?
To make the bottom more athletically pleasing. Since its black it'll make the corals pop more. Also to protect the bottom glass just in case rocks fall over. Honestly, mainly for the look of a black bottom without the sand. I really want to crank up the flow

CLICK TO VIEW

Reefer911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make the bottom more athletically pleasing. Since its black it'll make the corals pop more. Also to protect the bottom glass just in case rocks fall over. Honestly, mainly for the look of a black bottom without the sand. I really want to crank up the flow
Yo fish gonna be playing football in there or something?

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order King Starboard from BoatOutfitters

Nutramar Foods

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coralline algae will just grow on it… and dark/black bottoms absorb light instead of reflecting them back up to the undersides of corals. They tend to show debris easily since particles from rock and poop and such on are generally lighter colored although flow should help.

Just an FYI to the downsides to black. I do think it is a better option than black sand if your heart is set on black though.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline algae will just grow on it… and dark/black bottoms absorb light instead of reflecting them back up to the undersides of corals. They tend to show debris easily since particles from rock and poop and such on are generally lighter colored although flow should help.

Just an FYI to the downsides to black. I do think it is a better option than black sand if your heart is set on black though.
Those are all great points,honestly. I remember Ben's tank with the starboard. Looked so amaImzing. I miss Ben.

Random,you did get that money I sent you right :D lol ?!

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a older tank,and yes while the tank was up,about a year. With softies to sps.
Great! Thank you. That's all I needed to know. You had sps and everything was fine so that means my LPS and Softies should be fine. Thanks

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are all great points,honestly. I remember Ben's tank with the starboard. Looked so amaImzing. I miss Ben.

Random,you did get that money I sent you right :D lol ?!

Lol
Ya, I forgot about it until it showed up lol

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll still get some algae growing along the sides of it, no? (I guess with black it will hide most of it)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’d use Black Egg Crate and Elevate it Slightly of off the bottom. That way you’ll have a place to put your Coral Plugs. It will eventually grow over with Coraline Algae. BTW, my Oceanic Aquarium, with an Egg Crate bottom. Wouldn’t stay stabilized on the pH and elements needed for Coral Growth, till I added Crushed Coral sand. I even tried running Large Crushed Coral in the Media Basket, that didn’t work.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back