Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if someone were to turn an entire wall into a sump? Like imagine salt water flowing thru different channels in an enclosed system that was build for art as much as for cleaning/filtering?
I would assume you would need some openings to get to the skimmer/cheato (however that is spelled), maybe to get to a light or two.

I have no clue how maintenance would look trying to keep it nice but what do you all think?

CLICK TO VIEW

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why you couldn't, but from a maintenance standpoint it would be more work. There's a reason most sumps are below the tank or in a separate adjacent room, ie: ease of maintenance, reduce noise, gravity benefits, etc.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why you couldn't, but from a maintenance standpoint it would be more work. There's a reason most sumps are below the tank or in a separate adjacent room, ie: ease of maintenance, reduce noise, gravity benefits, etc.
Fair enough. Do most people not like the sound of running water? Or is it the pumps and stuff they don’t like?

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. Do most people not like the sound of running water? Or is it the pumps and stuff they don’t like?
That or hum or slight vibration from the pumps, etc. Some people also let their sumps get filthy so it's always advantageous to be able to close the door(s).

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't consider my sump a display, much like I don't consider my computer tower a display either.

If it was mostly refuge with macroalgae/xenia then I could see the interest.

I also don't want to pull apart my sump to make it immaculate for viewing, it's pretty tight in there.

But if someone finds interest in the idea, go for it.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above sumps/refugiums can be anywhere someone is willing to run plumbing and any shape that holds water. Problem I see with the OP is cleaning algae off the side so what's inside can be seen (which can be pretty cool, or not).

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't consider my sump a display, much like I don't consider my computer tower a display either.

If it was mostly refuge with macroalgae/xenia then I could see the interest.

I also don't want to pull apart my sump to make it immaculate for viewing, it's pretty tight in there.

But if someone finds interest in the idea, go for it.
I like that analogy! Fair point I just think there could be fun ways to evolve the idea of this hobby and trying to see if anyone has done this or if maybe it’s just to much of a head ache.

Nutramar Foods

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would one keep mold/mildew out of cavity of wall?
Fans and how's it designed, much like a DT in the wall, usually the tank is in the wall with space behind it for access. I have a 29 gallon reef in a wall viewable from both sides and have very little mold/mildew problems.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back