Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in an effort to finally get rid of the nuisance algae that has basically been in this tank for the life of it I'm hoping identifying the algae may help.

This is a 300 gallon tank with a 75 gallon tank used for the sump (probably around 40 gallon operating water volume.

I recently moved so the tank was reset up in it's current home in September of last year. Prior to that the tank was running for about 3 years. Same rock new sand.

This tank experienced very high nitrates (150 from an ATI test) and basically zero phosphate for about a year probably 2 years ago. Currently the nutrients are bottomed out. Nitrate and phosphate are basically zero. (From my research there are nutrients in the system still. It's just the algae that is absorbing them before they show on a test)

I run a protein skimmer, carbon reactor and a calcium reactor. I have not been doing many water changes but am currently starting to increase the frequency of them as they just tend to be beneficial. I also have a maintained rodi system that puts out 0 tds water.

Flow should be adequate as there is a gyre at the far end and two octopulse 4s at the overflow end of the tank.

My cuc is very light currently because I lost most of the snails in the move. I have probably 12 hermits still and I've added 3 tiger conchs.

Bioload is light as well though since I lost several fish in the move. Currently just a clown, blue jaw trigger and starry blenny.

With these conditions the algae continues to persist though. I will take a toothbrush or turkey baste rock work to get a lot of the light algae off but it tends to return in a week. Doesn't seem to get a whole lot worse but still comes right back.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this would be appreciated. Fixing a high nutrient tank seems very straightforward. However, I've had a difficult time finding a path forward from a tank where the nutrients are testing low.

PXL_20230224_012956547.jpg PXL_20230224_013041184.jpg

Avast
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back