A stripe acro…. Anyone know what it might could be?

TCK Corals

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a horrible picture but I just dipped it and the lights are going off. Does anyone have any guess on what this might be? I got it from a neighbor friend that buys wholesale. He didn’t know what it was but the mother colony it came from is solid dark dark red. He just cut a nub off and glued it to the plug and it has red and green. Either way it was free so I’m trying it.
83BEA804-CCA5-4BA9-921C-C0082895E5D3.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way to tell from that picture. Plus the coral will have to grow and form coralites before we can guess what it might be. Most red acropora have green in them too but when under very strong light turn all red. Looks kinda like it could have some green pigment infection but that normally fades away in time.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way to tell from that picture. Plus the coral will have to grow and form coralites before we can guess what it might be. Most red acropora have green in them too but when under very strong light turn all red. Looks kinda like it could have some green pigment infection but that normally fades away in time.
I guess I was struck by the pattern of the two colors. Almost like a graft. Thought that might help Id it because I don’t see any that way.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea a graft is different than a gfp infection (green fluorescent protein). The gfp infections are common but a true graft with acropora i don’t know that I have seen before. The green infection can spread to other corals in some cases hurting coloration but the ones from wild corals normally fade away quickly ime.

sculpin01

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appearance is usually associated with chimeric corals. Essentially you have two corals in one. This happens either due to fusion of two or more settled planulae or later through forced chimerism (e.g. grafting) where two adult corals come into contact and cells/genes from one jump to the other.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea a graft is different than a gfp infection (green fluorescent protein). The gfp infections are common but a true graft with acropora i don’t know that I have seen before. The green infection can spread to other corals in some cases hurting coloration but the ones from wild corals normally fade away quickly ime.
Interesting. Well this is from a wild colony I believe. In the tank today, all the polyps are dark red.

Top Shelf Aquatics
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tenecor Aquariums
Back