Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that there is wide range of experience on here so I wanted to pull together everybody's experience to help out those just starting out. The purpose of this draft will be to bring out key topics that experienced keepers can touch on, and questions that newcomers may have about Zoanthids and Palys. Keep in mind that most of this will sound like a summary of what parameters to keep your reef tank, but I think we can add a zoa twist to it.

Once we get enough topics I'll put together a new thread where we can all post comments regarding each topic. This topic (depending on participation) may branch out into a bigger beast, but we'll take care of that later. For the purpose of staying on task we'll stick to mainly tank parameters and other things like flow, lighting, placement, and anything else I may miss.

There are some topics that I feel are important..

Salinity
pH
Alk
Temp
Flow rate/type
Lighting
Placement

Whatcha got?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

JGoslee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should we post all of our parameters or talk about just one of the parameters? I'll just post them all.

Salinity = 1.026
pH = 8.4-8.6
Alk = 10-11 dKH
Temp = 78-80
Flow rate/type = High flow. tunze 6000 and 2 tunze 6025's.
Lighting = 2-250watt 14k phoenix de run on icecap and 2-39watt t5 super actinics also run on icecaps
Placement = Bottom to middle
I drip kalk so my alk AND PH are pretty high. ALK is never lower than 10dKH and ph never lower than 8.4

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about including a section on preditors? Perhaps in order of occurance frequency, warning signs, pictures (of the critter and the condition of the zoas during incident), eradication, prevention. Critters I can think of are asterinas, nudis, sundial snails, vermetids, worms (spaghetti, flatworms, irritator types), and even aptasia if relevent (I've had larger ones near Palys which seem to keep the paly closed). Maybe even a 'good company' section, listing the critters that make for benefical tank mates for zoas and why(six lines, coris wrasses, pseudocromis).

I think many people who start out with a dedication to zoas may be starting out with smaller tanks. In this case more than any, it is important for people to know not just the basics of chemistry and lighting to help their zoas thrive....but also how to create the most protective environment. In tanks that are 20g and below people my opt for the popular fish like clown pairs, etc, and not realize and plan for keeping that 'zoas best friend'.

Aww Ficklefins....did you bring back the bird just for me? :)

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back