A little lighting experiment on my tank.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what was going on and what happend afterwards......
Sorry for any speeling errors upfront.....not my strong suit......
I have been trading as you all know and buying stuff also, I have noticed that some of the frags I get after placing in my tank they open and then close and look terriable. After what seems like weeks they woud either start to open and regain color or parish.

So I was looking at my lighting last week or the week before and thought to myself that maybe the ligting was an issue. This is what was on my tank:
1 250 MH 14k se Hamilton powered by an Icecap ballast
2 110 watt VHO:
1 White actinic
1 03 super actinc

Total watts 470 watts on a 40 gallon long that is 48"x12"x16".....So I have a bunch of old bulbs and one newer 03 super actinic. I have never been into the overly blue tanks like 20ks and stuff. So one morning I decided to take out the white actinic and replace it with the newer 03 super actinic....This also allows me to do the dawn and dusk lighting now.

Well after about 3 days I noticed some of the ployps like Khuz's pink sparkles that I was feeling like I was going lost half the frag that I had cause half hadn't opend in weeks strated to open almost immediatly. Some of the others I had that were loong like they were going to go that way started to open again. I have had problems with getting Caribbeans to open and stay with me for long except a few frags that seemd to tolerate the lighting and water conditions(which I do keep up on weekly). So it has been almost 2 weeks now and I can't tell you how great these once falling polyps have turned out and the rest that were doing good are doing great now. I have noticed some new growth on frags that have not had new growth in months. So now with the MH and 2 super actincs it is blue but not so blue that it makes you sick, just bluer then it was with the white actinc. All my new Caribbenas have opened and are doing great and the colors are just amazing compared to what they were in the old set up....Sonow that I have done that and the out come is great I sought toget rid of some of the course crushed coral type substrate that I have and began to replace it with New Castle sand from a bag I bought a year or two ago.

What do you guys thing could it have been the como of my lights that was inhibitating my ployps form doing their best? I can only go by what I seen and nothing as far as water chem has changed at all my routine is still the same........Just thought I would share my little experiment and outcome with you guys. I will post what happens when the tank id fully transfered from course gravel to sand. So far it has been good also......

James

Top Shelf Aquatics

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow.. thanks for sharing... I'm glad that worked out for you.. I wonder if it's really just the lighting change that helped out.. how about you keep us posted in a couple more weeks... :)

Marvin

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquarium Specialty
Back