+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I want to share my story and see if anyone has any ideas of how that could happen. I have a Waterbox 50.3 tank. It's AIO, that is, it doesn't have a sump but instead has five chambers in the back divided by baffles and separated by a tinted glass from a display area.
I have a paired Hi Fin Banded Goby and small Randall's shrimp, but I didn't see them for a while, like several months, so I assumed that the goby is dead, and the shrimp is hiding, like they always do when they don't have a pair.
A few days ago, I did some cleaning in the middle chamber where my return pump and heater are, and suddenly I saw the goby that was there hiding under the pump. I don't know how long it was there and I wasn't able to catch it, so I decided to drain the back chamber when I have time. Tonight, I looked into the back chamber with a flashlight to check if he was still there, and to my surprise I noticed that his shrimp was there with him.
Now I know that the goby could jump into the back chamber (I have a lid but there's a small gap enough for a fish that small) but how the hell could the shrimp get there? It's not like it found out that the goby is missing and decided to go to the overflow, past the filter floss, filtration media, skimmer, and a couple of baffles to look for it? And how did they know where to look for each other? Or could they make a burrow by the back glass, dig through the silicone, and now they have a passage between the back chambers and the display? I have so many questions and so few answers...

Nutramar Foods

CoralB

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I want to share my story and see if anyone has any ideas of how that could happen. I have a Waterbox 50.3 tank. It's AIO, that is, it doesn't have a sump but instead has five chambers in the back divided by baffles and separated by a tinted glass from a display area.
I have a paired Hi Fin Banded Goby and small Randall's shrimp, but I didn't see them for a while, like several months, so I assumed that the goby is dead, and the shrimp is hiding, like they always do when they don't have a pair.
A few days ago, I did some cleaning in the middle chamber where my return pump and heater are, and suddenly I saw the goby that was there hiding under the pump. I don't know how long it was there and I wasn't able to catch it, so I decided to drain the back chamber when I have time. Tonight, I looked into the back chamber with a flashlight to check if he was still there, and to my surprise I noticed that his shrimp was there with him.
Now I know that the goby could jump into the back chamber (I have a lid but there's a small gap enough for a fish that small) but how the hell could the shrimp get there? It's not like it found out that the goby is missing and decided to go to the overflow, past the filter floss, filtration media, skimmer, and a couple of baffles to look for it? And how did they know where to look for each other? Or could they make a burrow by the back glass, dig through the silicone, and now they have a passage between the back chambers and the display? I have so many questions and so few answers...
Interesting situation to contemplate , while figuring it out be thankful their still alive !!. And when you figure it out please share .

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ponder Denzel Washington GIF by Entertainment Tonight

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Buckeye
Back