Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello fellow reefers. A few days ago I reached out to ESV Aquarium Products Inc via email and spoke with Mr. Bob Stark about their B-Ionic 2-Part. As I’m transitioning over from another 2-part product I wanted to know the potency of ESV (mainly the Alkalinity proponent) so that I could safely pick up where I left off and prevent shocking the system with a big Alk swing. Mr. Stark was kind enough to take the time to fully answer all of my questions and I truly appreciate that. It really means a lot when a company not only responds timely, but responds thoroughly. I wanted to share the email as I told him beforehand that some of us here at R2R had a lot of questions. So I fired all my questions and he answered them all. Below is the information that I was personally looking for and this will likely help guide those (like myself) who might use this product in the future or give a better understanding of how this product actually works. Thank you Mr. Stark!
—————————————————————————-

Hi Jared,

B-Ionic Calcium Buffer is a complete ionically balanced 2 part meaning the residual ions left behind (after the calcium and carbonate alkalinity dosed to an aquarium is removed by calcification) duplicate all the important major, minor, and trace elements of an artificial seawater mix in their correct ratios. The product was developed in 1995 to address the issue of a slow trend toward ionic imbalance when using just calcium chloride and sodium carbonate/bicarbonate. In that situation the residual ions left behind after calcification would just be sodium and chloride. As salinity was corrected, the tank water would drift more and more towards just being a sodium chloride solution thereby lowering the concentration of some important elements. Water changes would slow down that process. In a nutshell, when you add equal amounts of our two components, you are adding highly concentrated, balanced amounts of calcium and alkalinity along with a pinch of an artificial seawater mix. With calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate/carbonate additions, you are also adding highly concentrated calcium and alkalinity, but with a pinch of just sodium chloride instead. Given that, with B-Ionic 2 part all the important ions of an artificial seawater mix are being added daily (including magnesium) but there is no possibility of overdosing any of those residual ions as long as salinity is maintained. If the salinity of the system rises, and tank water must be removed and replaced with RO/DI water, then that is in essence a small water change where the salt mix was the residual ions of our 2 part. That small "water change" can be effective at helping to stabilize certain ions that tend to drop over time in addition to calcium and alkalinity. For example magnesium and potassium. Magnesium is going into the system as part of the residual seawater ions, but that addition may not be enough to keep up with the system's demands. Other ions may not be supplied in enough quantity with these residual ions, such as iodide, strontium, and the transition metals iron, manganese, and zinc. For this reason we have separate supplements for magnesium, iodide, strontium, and our Transition Elements additive which contains iron, manganese, and zinc). Our magnesium supplement is not a 3rd part of our B-Ionic 2 part, and should only be added as testing dictates. In the systems at ESV we test for magnesium once per month and find B-Ionic 2 part keeps the levels fairly stable so supplemental addition is only occasionally called for. Many hobbyists I speak with are surprised to hear this because some other products introduced later to the market are true 3 part systems where the magnesium is in a third component presumably because they use magnesium sulfate which would be incompatible in either the calcium component (calcium sulfate would precipitate) or the alkalinity component (magnesium carbonate would precipitate). We were able to simplify things and incorporate the magnesium and sulfate within the two parts by using different magnesium and sulfate salts that are compatible with the calcium and alkalinity components. Regarding concentrations you are correct, the alkalinity component is 2800 meq/Liter (7840 dKH). The calcium component is 62,752 mg/L. The magnesium in the two part is in the calcium component, and it's concentration is proprietary but remember, you can't overdose magnesium by using B-Ionic 2 part as long as the aquarium salinity is maintained because the magnesium ions are in the correct artificial seawater ratio with the other residual ions. If the magnesium does test low due to high demand (aquariums with a high bioload of coralline algae for example), we have a separate B-Ionic Magnesium supplement only to be used as needed. The concentration of that product is 36,000 ppm magnesium. I hope this info helps clear things up and thanks for your questions, kind words, and interest in the product. Next year B-Ionic Calcium Buffer turns 25 years old! :)

Best Regards,

Bob Stark

ESV Aquarium Products Inc.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I’ve been using esv for years and didn’t realize there was enough mag in the calcium “part” alone. That makes so much sense that I haven’t had to dose mag since I raised calcium on my doser now! :)

MrArcana

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using b ionic. I switched from kalk, and then tried all for reef, before going with esv.

I've found it very potent though, I only need to use half what the calculators call for to meet my demand, and thats with it diluted 50% to boot.

The 16oz bottles might last my nano years. Lol

hyprc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really remarkable considering its age. I tried 2-part, then kalk, then RS ABC+ powder, and now B-Ionic. Results have improved every time I've switched and I see no reason to switch from the B-Ionic.

andy020

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the ESV products.. on my 3rd bucket of salt, even dosing the transition elements, but had to order a skimmer for TE-plus to be effective.

Note: with the salt, weigh the dry contents and measure the liquids..
I mix 5 gal at a time, it’s unbelievable how pure it is, after months, my bucket is still brand new...

Salt mixes dead on every time.

Nutramar Foods

Johnson556

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purposely did no water changed for 4 months in my old tank (240G system). Just dosed 100ML of ESV (200ML total) per day. Had an ICP test complete after 4 months and the only thing not perfect (in the green) was phosphorus...Love this stuff

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purposely did no water changed for 4 months in my old tank (240G system). Just dosed 100ML of ESV (200ML total) per day. Had an ICP test complete after 4 months and the only thing not perfect (in the green) was phosphorus...Love this stuff

Great to know!

U

User1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Just wanted to say thank you for this post. I am getting ready to start dosing and have been reading and deciding which product to use. Years ago I was using Kalk via Mrs. Wages which worked well. I've been trying to decide if I want to use something say from BRS or ESV and after reading this going to run with ESV 2 part.

I also read a few replies from Randy one of which said it was a good product. Seems like a no brainer to me so that is what I'll be ordering today.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
ESV makes absolutely great product. Bob is a great guy - love to talk to him when he visits our meetings at the Brooklyn Aquarium Society.

He is actually scheduled to talk in April 2020 but I'm sure he'll stop by when we have Joe Yaiullo speak in February. They come in like the reef mafia and always give a great talk. I have a lot of respect for both and always learn something new.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello fellow reefers. A few days ago I reached out to ESV Aquarium Products Inc via email and spoke with Mr. Bob Stark about their B-Ionic 2-Part. As I’m transitioning over from another 2-part product I wanted to know the potency of ESV (mainly the Alkalinity proponent) so that I could safely pick up where I left off and prevent shocking the system with a big Alk swing. Mr. Stark was kind enough to take the time to fully answer all of my questions and I truly appreciate that. It really means a lot when a company not only responds timely, but responds thoroughly. I wanted to share the email as I told him beforehand that some of us here at R2R had a lot of questions. So I fired all my questions and he answered them all. Below is the information that I was personally looking for and this will likely help guide those (like myself) who might use this product in the future or give a better understanding of how this product actually works. Thank you Mr. Stark!
—————————————————————————-

Hi Jared,

B-Ionic Calcium Buffer is a complete ionically balanced 2 part meaning the residual ions left behind (after the calcium and carbonate alkalinity dosed to an aquarium is removed by calcification) duplicate all the important major, minor, and trace elements of an artificial seawater mix in their correct ratios. The product was developed in 1995 to address the issue of a slow trend toward ionic imbalance when using just calcium chloride and sodium carbonate/bicarbonate. In that situation the residual ions left behind after calcification would just be sodium and chloride. As salinity was corrected, the tank water would drift more and more towards just being a sodium chloride solution thereby lowering the concentration of some important elements. Water changes would slow down that process. In a nutshell, when you add equal amounts of our two components, you are adding highly concentrated, balanced amounts of calcium and alkalinity along with a pinch of an artificial seawater mix. With calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate/carbonate additions, you are also adding highly concentrated calcium and alkalinity, but with a pinch of just sodium chloride instead. Given that, with B-Ionic 2 part all the important ions of an artificial seawater mix are being added daily (including magnesium) but there is no possibility of overdosing any of those residual ions as long as salinity is maintained. If the salinity of the system rises, and tank water must be removed and replaced with RO/DI water, then that is in essence a small water change where the salt mix was the residual ions of our 2 part. That small "water change" can be effective at helping to stabilize certain ions that tend to drop over time in addition to calcium and alkalinity. For example magnesium and potassium. Magnesium is going into the system as part of the residual seawater ions, but that addition may not be enough to keep up with the system's demands. Other ions may not be supplied in enough quantity with these residual ions, such as iodide, strontium, and the transition metals iron, manganese, and zinc. For this reason we have separate supplements for magnesium, iodide, strontium, and our Transition Elements additive which contains iron, manganese, and zinc). Our magnesium supplement is not a 3rd part of our B-Ionic 2 part, and should only be added as testing dictates. In the systems at ESV we test for magnesium once per month and find B-Ionic 2 part keeps the levels fairly stable so supplemental addition is only occasionally called for. Many hobbyists I speak with are surprised to hear this because some other products introduced later to the market are true 3 part systems where the magnesium is in a third component presumably because they use magnesium sulfate which would be incompatible in either the calcium component (calcium sulfate would precipitate) or the alkalinity component (magnesium carbonate would precipitate). We were able to simplify things and incorporate the magnesium and sulfate within the two parts by using different magnesium and sulfate salts that are compatible with the calcium and alkalinity components. Regarding concentrations you are correct, the alkalinity component is 2800 meq/Liter (7840 dKH). The calcium component is 62,752 mg/L. The magnesium in the two part is in the calcium component, and it's concentration is proprietary but remember, you can't overdose magnesium by using B-Ionic 2 part as long as the aquarium salinity is maintained because the magnesium ions are in the correct artificial seawater ratio with the other residual ions. If the magnesium does test low due to high demand (aquariums with a high bioload of coralline algae for example), we have a separate B-Ionic Magnesium supplement only to be used as needed. The concentration of that product is 36,000 ppm magnesium. I hope this info helps clear things up and thanks for your questions, kind words, and interest in the product. Next year B-Ionic Calcium Buffer turns 25 years old! :)

Best Regards,

Bob Stark

There's a calculator at the top of the chem page that includes B-ionic and many other brands to facilitate transitions.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second email to Bob Stark in regards to Trace Elements. I wanted to list this email as well so that other reefers can reference in the future. This gives us all a better understanding of ESV B-Ionic:

Hi Jared,

I'm glad the B-Ionic 2 Part is working out for you and thanks for spreading the word! You are correct in that the amount of certain elements provided by the product may not keep up with demand, although significant trace elements are added to our systems simply by feeding. Depending on how much of the 2 part is added, certain major elements can stay in the ballpark with the 2 part alone..like magnesium, potassium, and sulfate. Others, as you suggest, are probably not being added in sufficient quantity so we suggest once per week additions of our B-Ionic Strontium and B-Ionic Iodide. In addition, for tanks over 4 months old and more populated, we recommend daily additions of our B-Ionic Transition Elements which provide very low doses of Iron, Manganese, and Zinc. We also have a Transition Elements Plus product that supplies the same amounts of these elements but also adds citric acid and ascorbic acid for carbon dosing if the aquarist is battling higher nitrates. I'm not too keen on supplying trace elements which can be required by non calcifying inhabitants (macro algae and soft corals) based on calcification rates alone, but I see some of the logic behind it. My guess is the Red Sea Colors are probably safe to use with our B-Ionic, but don't know enough about their product line to say with absolute certainty. All of the above mentioned ESV additives, in addition to the 2 Part, have been formulated to fall a little under the radar of trace element overdose and based on our testing and feedback from customers who have run ICP, we are confident the dosages are safe. Hope this info helps and thanks again for using our products!

Bob Stark

Top Shelf Aquatics
U

User1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Sort of a dumb question but I see the 2-Part 2 gallon jugs for sale on Amazon for 40 bucks. You add RODI water I guess and mix well. My question is this. After it is mixed can I just pour it into my Neptune DOS containers or do you just tap into the lid and dose out of the jug.

I guess you could do it either way unless the 2-part is tough on acrylic. I've had the DOS unit laying around for a bit now so figured might as well use it.

hyprc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of a dumb question but I see the 2-Part 2 gallon jugs for sale on Amazon for 40 bucks. You add RODI water I guess and mix well. My question is this. After it is mixed can I just pour it into my Neptune DOS containers or do you just tap into the lid and dose out of the jug.

I guess you could do it either way unless the 2-part is tough on acrylic. I've had the DOS unit laying around for a bit now so figured might as well use it.
Once it's fully mixed into solution (in some cases people need to warm the mixture a bit and keep the mixing going for quite some time to achieve this), you should be able to use it just like the premixed solutions.

U

User1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Thank you. I do not believe I will be dosing much for a while so wanted to be sure and understand how I can pour into the smaller containers because of the lower amount.

Appreciate the information. I'll be placing an order today.

LadyTang2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using b ionic. I switched from kalk, and then tried all for reef, before going with esv.

I've found it very potent though, I only need to use half what the calculators call for to meet my demand, and thats with it diluted 50% to boot.

The 16oz bottles might last my nano years. Lol
Did you have an issue or concern with the all for reef?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back