Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this isn’t the correct place, please delete.

I have a bit of a conundrum here. I posted something in my local reefer community on Facebook asking if anyone would be parting with a 75gal tank and stand.

Several folk reached out. One is offering a 120 with stand, canopy and sump but it needs work. Tank needs to be resealed and stand refinished along with needing new plumbing and bulkheads. I have no experience with plumbing a tank.

Another gentleman reached out and is offering a 75 with stand plus delivery. He’s cleaning the tank as we speak and the stand just needs to be refinished.

Would the 120 be worth it in the long run or should I just go with the 75? I also live in a second floor apartment. So

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

thomas_neil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this isn’t the correct place, please delete.

I have a bit of a conundrum here. I posted something in my local reefer community on Facebook asking if anyone would be parting with a 75gal tank and stand.

Several folk reached out. One is offering a 120 with stand, canopy and sump but it needs work. Tank needs to be resealed and stand refinished along with needing new plumbing and bulkheads. I have no experience with plumbing a tank.

Another gentleman reached out and is offering a 75 with stand plus delivery. He’s cleaning the tank as we speak and the stand just needs to be refinished.

Would the 120 be worth it in the long run or should I just go with the 75? I also live in a second floor apartment. So
Personally I would do a 75 being on a second floor. It weighs less, and if the 120 needs to be resealed that could cause issues for the people under you. I know Petco and PetSmart run sales all the time. I picked up my 75 for like $250 with a stand from there like 2 years back.

Corals.com

GoM_reefs

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 right now at Petco for $129. Not drilled or anything, but a good price!
Stands are the killer with those, at least assuming you're wanting more than a 2x4 stand.

@CamoFan I'd go with the 75. Resealing a tank is a big job and the cost will add up quickly. You're looking at $70+ just for the rvt and more if you need to purchase clamps etc. I'd expected the realistic cost to be closer to 3-400 once you account for the reseal, plumbing, and stand refinish. Still not a bad price for a 120, but again, lot's of work. Not to mention moving it.

If the 75 is drilled then I say go for it. Another thing on the 120 is you're nearly doubling the volume. That means upping your lighting, returns, powerheads, skimmer, everything which is $$$. Usually bigger is better, but in this case the 75 will be large enough to not be too limiting on stocking and have enough volume to not be a nightmare.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back